1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, yeah, um ... Nashville is under water.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wes Rucker, May 3, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was there just a little more than a month ago and I was watching the Weather Channel's coverage. Just amazing how much of Nashville is now under water.
    And CNN has sucked some donkey balls, it is like the network can't handle three big stories at once.
    Of course if Nashville was on the east coast near NYC, it would be a huge deal.
    'Cause that's just the way the news rolls.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bigger story than the oil slick, IMHO.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good call on the flood insurance. Most people don't have it and you need 30 days before the coverage takes effect.

I hope this isn't like the floods two years ago in Iowa. Cedar Rapids' economy is altered forever after what happened.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nope. The lakes around Nashville are Corps-controlled, as are the rivers and creeks (which goes without saying -- I think all navagitable waterways are) in the region. Not sure why, but TVA has little presence in Nashville proper.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't think FedEx Forum even has ice. Memphis' minor league team plays in Southaven, Miss.

Birmingham had ice at the BJCC one time, don't know if they do now (although the dasher boards are still in place.) That seats roughly 17k. Otherwise, Atlanta seems like the only other place where it would have been feasable. (And if the Preds had advanced, they'd be playing the Sharks.)

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dayum.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Here's some pix from LP Field:

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2010/5/3/1456202/lp-field-flooding-update

http://gallery.pictopia.com/tennessean/e/?photo_name=DN-100503071-AR-L-AR&thumbnail_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcmsimg.tennessean.com%2Fapps%2Fpbcsi.dll%2Fbilde%3FSite%3DDN%26Date%3D20100503%26Category%3DNEWS%26ArtNo%3D100503071%26Ref%3DAR&title=LP%20Field%2C%20Bridgestone%20Arena%20under%20water&caption=LP%20Field%20filling%20with%20water%20Monday%20afternoon%2C%20May%203%2C%202010.

To all in Nashville, best wishes.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. TBF got stranded with relatives in a Nashville suburb for a couple of days because all the roads were closed. Clarksville, where my home is located just up the river, is flooded as well. We had more than 10 inches in Clarksville, and our roof started to leak, so Mrs. TBF called the nearby relatives, and my uncle came and repaired the leak. We live on a huge hill, so we're safe from the flood damage.

Bad, bad stuff. The Leaf Chronicle has a pretty decent slide show.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Odd, because I was stuck watching CNN while flying today and it seemed like every 30 minutes I was hearing rain totals for Camden, Franklin and Nashville ("only" 13+" of rain).

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Probably a little uncouth to rank natural disasters, especially while they're still unfolding, but the oil slick's long-term potential to so many areas is staggering. Especially if they can't stop plug the damn gusher anytime soon.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can't believe the waters are as far up as Bridgestone and the Opry... that floors me...
    Wow...

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

was there last weekend for the Country Music Marathon ... we ran through so many of these areas.

And yeah, if the Ryman's underwater, they're in deep shit. Right on top of that little hill right behind the convention center. I couldn't believe how low-key it was.

Either way, Nashville was great. Hopefully the Caney Fork Fish Camp across from Opryland is still hanging on, but I highly doubt it. that area seemed a little low when we went there for lunch (and some damn good margaritas).

Draft saved Draft deleted