1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, WTF Rolling Stone? Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Dripping with sarcasm.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/07/17/rolling-stones-tsarnaev-did-the-new-york-times-face-a-backlash/

2. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I find absolutely nothing wrong with using the picture - the same, and many others every similar, were widely used by virtually every media outlet during the initial frenzy, virtually without comment. The story tries to explain how this kid got from A-Z, and the photo dramatically underscores that. And it's a damn good story, too, worthy of the cover, because guess what? Nobody else has written it, and it needed to be told.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

How about RS gets off their ass and finds out whether someone killed Michael Hastings instead of give the Tsarnev-ievers masturbatory pinup material.

http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/1ifhtq/michael_hastings_cremated_family_never_requested/cb4415t

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. RS has always been more than a music magazine, and if this is the best story in the magazine (which I'm sure it is), then you want to play it up. And as others have pointed out, this particular photo underscores the fact that this looks like a perfectly normal person who became a mass killer. The headline and deck don't do him any favors either. And I am guessing I could count on one hand the number of people who might go on a killing spree to get their photo on the cover of a Rolling Stone.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Obama approved drone strikes were responsible for more deaths and he has been on the cover of RS a number of times.

If Obama showed up in The Middle East on cover of Rag Head Monthly no doubt it would be met with derision and maybe even
    an attack on US Embassy.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Hastings was notoriously messed up on drugs.
    This is the dirty little secret not mentioned whenever he is adulated.
    (Yet was able to persevere through his troubles to marry Condi Rice's speech writer.)
    Also famous for driving like a fucking maniac, not unlike the Jackass moron who perished in a fiery blaze.
    A witness to the Hastings wreck says he was driving so fast that when he passed, it shook the witness's vehicle.
    Going airborne on a speed bump like a 16-year-old tends to reduce one's ability to correct, or overcorrect.
    Also limits braking ability when you begin flying a motor vehicle as opposed to driving it.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/hastings-crash-witness-113514329.html

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's possible that Aaron Hernandez could be responsible for as many deaths as Tsarnaev. If he appears on cover of Sports Illustrated down the road will CVS yank that cover from the shelves.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In May, the New York Times ran an identical photo and a similar story/

I just do not get the outcry.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to actually read the story, and the editor's note on the story (and presumably the decision to run the photo on the cover):

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Read both the RS piece and the NYT piece, and they touch on a lot of the same stuff. The RS story is a bit longer and more in depth, which is likely why it came out 1.5 months later. And both used the same photo. I wonder how the most vocal opponents of the RS story feel about the NYT piece that flew under the radar.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I like this idea. They could have even given it a kicker hed:

Jahar Noir

[​IMG]

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's his Americanized nickname, according to the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted