1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So. Who wins the Heisman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Pick the Heisman winner.

1. Jameis Winston

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Johnny Manziel

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Marcus Mariota

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AJ McCarron

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For probably a month now, it has been Winston-Manziel-Mariota and then, after Oregon lost, Winston-Manziel.

But Manziel was pretty bad today. Hard to vote for a guy after that, and especially if they follow up with another disappointment at Missouri next week. And Mariota was also off, and his team has now been trucked twice and has become the poster child for the folly of preseason rankings. Also today, any chance for anyone from Baylor to sneak up disappeared too.

Which leaves Winston ... will voters go with the best on the field and just hope the investigation doesn't come back to embarrass them? Will he be charged before ballots are due, and how would that complicate a vote?

And then does McCarron get the default Lifetime Achievement Award?

An unusual year in that there isn't much debate about who is the best on the field, but quite an off-the-field complication.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

We've seen guys like Gino Torretta and Chris Weinke win it in years when their team was good and no other individual was off the charts spectacular.

That's what I'm seeing here, thus a nod to McCarron, unless he stinks it up against Auburn. He's been steady, if not spectacular, for the No. 1-ranked team. And it is sort of a career award in his case.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it goes to McCarron now. And it's not undeserved.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Unlike the other candidates, McCarron is going to have back-to-back games against 10-win teams the next two weeks (Auburn & either Missouri or South Carolina).

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is reminding me a bit of 1992, the year nobody seemed to deserve it, so they ended up just giving it to Gino Torretta by default because he happened to the QB of the unbeaten No. 1 ranked team at the time of the voting.

Based on that default rationale, I suppose McCarron's chances look quite a bit better today.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know it will never happen because he plays on the same team as Manziel, but Evans is a beast who lit up Alabama and Auburn.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Correct and correct. Who was the last receiver to win it? Was it Tim Brown of Notre Dame back in 1987?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Desmond Howard.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, thanks. Forgotten about him. There are quite a few good receivers out there this year, including Sammy Watkins of Clemson, who should be a first-round draft pick.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You could also kinda-sorta put Woodson in there since he probably wouldn't have won without his work at receiver.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Although you could also count both Woodson and Howard as special teams players.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I really get a chuckle over the McCarron outlook. "Steady, not spectacular." "Default vote."

This guy is going to quarterback three straight national champions. He. Does. Not. Lose.

And anyone who does not think he's an integral part of those wins has not watched the Tide.

He is NOT Jason White.

Maybe he should spend more time popping off and partying.

Draft saved Draft deleted