1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, who wants Tomlinson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 22, 2009.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I think the only way you make that move is if you think you are one player away from winning it all in 2009, and you're willing to go all-in for one shot at it.

In the right system that also has another quality back to share the workload, I think you can get one more really good year out of LT. After that, you're really rolling the dice.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The perception of LT is that he won't play hurt. Fair un unfair, that's what's out there right now.

As far as being whiny, he's not even close to being among the more whiny players in the league. You think he's as bad as Larry Johnson, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Philip Rivers, Jeremy Shockey just to name a few elite players who complain about 1,000 times more than LT does.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That's whats put out there in the media. I'm certain GM's around the league will tell you that asking a RB to play on a third degree MCL sprain and a torn groin isn't logical.

4. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I think when it's the post-season and you have a chance at the Super Bowl, you suck it up and play. His QB played on a torn ACL in the same game LT took one hit and decided to sit the rest of the AFC championship out.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Thank you. It's not like the guy had a sore hamstring. Jesus. He started the first playoff game this season with a pretty serious groin injury and was clearly not himself. I understand the concerns about his wear and tear, but these injuries don't prove he's washed up. He had more than 1,500 total yards this season, and he's played in at least 15 games every season. I'm not ready to start comparing him to Jamal Lewis yet. I'd give up a second-rounder, for sure.
    And LJB, the whiniest bitch in the league? Really? You must be a Broncos fan.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh, no. Not a Donkeys fan. If you knew his allegiance, you might be prone to take this back.

And where did Tomlinson suddenly become whiny along with Philip Rivers. Rivers played on a torn ACL for chrissakes. And it's not like Tomlinson had only a mild knee sprain or calf cramp or something ...

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

No offense meant to LJB, so I'll take it back. But there's clearly some venom there.
    I just don't understand this line of thinking. He certainly was portrayed as sulking at times this season. It was, however, a frustrating year for him and the team. Can't say I blame him for expressing that frustration. But he's nowhere near on par with the Ocho Cinco/TOs of the league. And to fault him for being pissed after the Pats game seems kind of silly. It's a pretty emotional game, and that game was particularly so if I recall.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it seemed more like a reaction to posters going on about how classy Tomlinson is. I'm not sure it is fair to say his personality is a big negative, but I don't see how you can say it is a positive at this point, either.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

HIs QB drops back and doesn't rely on his knee to move up and down the field on every carry.

Horrible comparison.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Sure, LT shows his frustration at times, and more than some others, but I don't see it as a big negative. After his past success I think it's understandable that he was a bit frustrated by the injuries and the ineffectiveness of the team early on.
    I give a lot of credit to Rivers for playing on that ACL, and I don't think the comparison is TOO far off base. But LT is certainly relying on speed and elusiveness more than Rivers.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Depends what my needs are and if I'm trying to win NOW or build for down the road.

AJ Smith is a moron to begin with. I have no idea how guys like that wind up as general managers.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No. I would actually have to care first. Or at least not be deeply apathetic. I didn't say he was a wuss or a soft player (though his sitting out almost all the AFCC last year doesn't do great things for his legacy), I said he cried a lot for a superstar player who's a sure bet to go to Canton. And he does.

The knock on this Chargers team has been that they get rattled quickly and easily and then they start to make a lot of whimpering noises from within and without. That's held up pretty well over the last few seasons. It's not exactly a chemistry issue. I don't know what the hell you would call it. Or maybe it is a weird kind of chemistry because so many of them bitch about the same kinds of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted