1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, who wants Tomlinson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Whoever takes LT is going to be paying a lot of money to a guy on the downside of his career and who can't be counted on to play in big games.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Detroit. Where careers go to die.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

KC isn't going to waste a draft pick(s) on LT. Running backs are dispensable. LJ needs to be disposed of already.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We both know that would just fill Detroit fans with false hope. Barry Sanders in his prime with weapons all around only created a team powerful enough to win one playoff game. And the next week they got destroyed by the Redskins.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He CAN be counted on to sulk during those big games. How many players have cemented greatness by playing a big game on one leg?

He is 29 years old. He is Eddie George five years ago. Earl Campbell 27 years ago. Shaun Alexander three years ago. He has clearly hit the wall, and is finished being a star. Can he still be an effective back? In the right offense, with the right players and coordinator, probably. But not for long, and not as the injuries continue to pile up.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's telling how quickly the top running backs fall off the map. It makes you appreciate the guys like Emmmit Smith, Marshall Faulk and the other guys who can be productive for more than 10+ years.

As much as a fuck as Smith is, I'm not sure you can fault him for keeping LT over Turner. He can be faulted for getting rid of the best FB in the game and not trading Turner when he had the chance.

I'm guessing they will be hoping Beanie Wells is there at No. 16. Moreno will be long gone.

They should keep Sproles, but anybody who thinks he can be an everydown back is a fool.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Seriously, guys? I know the guy had a bad year (for him), and he was banged up. Quite a bit. But "washed up" and a "part-time player" because he didn't get 1,500 yards this year? I understand the concerns about his missing the playoff games and the shelf life of most NFL backs, but come on. The guy had a pretty serious groin injury this year and a knee injury last year, if I recall correctly, that most of us wouldn't even be able to walk to our cars with, much less play in an NFL game. I agree with Sam that he's going to come back highly motivated and (hopefully) healthy, and while he might not be the back he was in '06 (who is?), I think he's still legit. The comparisons to George and Alexander are a bit premature, I think.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

After the AFC title game he sat out?

The ONLY reason people would have wanted Tomlinson was because of salary-cap hit with his being dealt.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is there a bigger jerk in the NFL than Smith? I mean, seriously? OK, fine, LT2 is very likely on the downside and I can understand if Smith is angry at him after the last two postseasons. But LT2 seems like a pretty good guy...the type of guy who won't ever put the franchise in a bad spot or embarrass it. And he IS a rock-solid, no-doubt-about-it HOFer. So why is Smith mocking the guy? What is to be gained by that?

What a tool.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Definitely an asshat.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What's left on LT's contract?

If the dollars line up he would look good in Chicago, great one-two punch with Forte, allowing both to stay fresh and productive. Hell it's not like they are going to pass the ball to a reciever, might as well have two legit options out of the backfield. Bears want to upgrade the running game anyway as currently they don't have a real option behind Forte.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I'm sure he thought he was being funny, but you don't mock a player who has been as classy as LT has throughout his career, especially when he's saying how he wants to end his career with your organization.

Smith is an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted