1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So who plays Lombardi?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 28, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know who would be good, and while I think Giamatti can play pretty much anything, I think Gary Sinese would own this part.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Jon Voight, but Gary Sinese would also be good.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I sure do hope they base Lombardi's "character" off the great Maraniss bio, and not some crappy NFL Films "what-the-hell's-goin-on-out-here" caricature of him.

But, having seen just about every EOE feature-length production, I'm convinced they won't.

There is absolutely no depth to any of these sports biopics lately: just a rehashing of the story, and they even fuck that up sometimes. Only one they got right was "Miracle," and that's only because EVERYONE knew the story so well that they couldn't fudge the facts and fuck it up with inaccurate history and forced drama like they did with, for instance, "Glory Road". (Yes, I'm still bitter.)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Lombardi was not a towering tall guy -- he was 5-8.

Both Chiklis and Sinise are roughly that size -- I think they could both do a good job.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Borgnine was tremendous in that role, too.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What's the over/under on how much Paul Hornung carousing there will be in this ESPN flick?

I want to play Lee Remmel. I look nothing like him, but it would just be cool to play Lee Remmel.

7. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'd rather see a less-known actor play Lombardi. If the actor is well-known, there's a chance you'd be thinking of the actor and focus on how he's doing with Lombardi, rather than just the movie.

It was a good idea for Superman Returns, since Superman is so iconic a character. It might not be a bad idea here. That would allow the producers to cast the best actor for the part, not the most prominent actor who could pull it off but might not be the best fit.

Besides, that idea might avoid a repeat of this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Who would play Landry?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Scouter

Scouter Member

Drew Carey

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah. You're right, didntdoit. Every time I watch Season On The Brink I see Steve Alford and think Adrian Zmed.

[​IMG]

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

none of you can shoot, except for steve.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Landry has got to be this guy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, because then you'd be waiting for him to call everyone a dumb-ass. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted