1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where did you play the NBA story today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ike Broflovski, Jun 15, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver Post: Rockies and a Woody Paige baseball column stripped at the top with the NBA as display and a Mark Kiszla hockey column to the left. U.S. Open refer (with photo of Dougherty) at the top.
    Rocky Mountain News: Tab cover photo of the Rockies with NBA Finals (art of Parker) and U.S. Open refers at the top.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

15K shop. Deadline here is 11:30. First story moved at 11:47, according to our wire. NBA Finals didn't make the paper. My phone is not ringing off the hook with angry readers. Nobody. Cares.

3. Frylock

Frylock Member

Yeah, nobody cares, but not because it's the NBA.
    It's obviously because nobody outside of Cleveland thought the Cavs had a chance.
    Anyone who cares knows there has been talk of a NCAA Tournament-style playoff format for the NBA and it just has to happen. That will make a huge difference.
    As for small markets winning (instead of the big three)? Deal with it. It happens in all sports. And the Bulls or Knicks or Lakers will get back to the finals at some point.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

obituaries.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Had to play it on the cover b/c it's a Texas team. Our headline was "LeBroom" ;D (I am on holiday and did not write it)

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Centerpiece. Open lead and column in the top news hole.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We gave it a nice shot on Page 11. If we were a broadsheet, I would think it would have gotten fair low-page front play.

Our big deal was the Open, and I'll defend that. We've got two people and a photog there.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

If deadlines are between 11 p.m. and 12, you can either dummy a first run punk story in, or run a refer. Both are journalistically acceptable in my book considering your niche, circulation and deadline.

I am not saying I would do it, just knowing how things work at other papers that aren't metros.

9. That's what we did.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Centerpiece

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The wonders of being out West, had plenty of time to get it in. Finals was stripped across the top. We had a local centerpiece.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

East coast, 27K in Georgia. photo and short 7incher stripped down right side. Local story was our centerpiece.

Draft saved Draft deleted