1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what's proper protocol when a fellow reporter breaks meeting protocol?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I don't know about other states, but in Minnesota it's state law that government meetings - council and county board meeting for sure, not sure on committee meetings - have to be taped. No matter what, there are meeting minutes for all government meetings (which are usually included with my council packets.)

The reporter, by doing what he did, made himself part of the public record of that meeting. Ace, this isn't the same as hollering at the ref as in your example (I've done that myself back in my sports days.)

Big no-no.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thanks Rosie, I appreciate your response and for understanding where I'm coming from.
    As for the other responses, I've always appreciated when a fellow reporter gives me a heads up about a faux pas I've made, but I wanted to know what the general consensus is in a situation like that. That's it. Sorry if I came across as being high and mighty, that honestly wasn't my intent at all, I was just trying to set the scene. If I went too far, I apologize.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Robert's Rules of Order, illustrated? Fig. 1: the gavel. Fig. 2: the gavel target thingie. Fig. 3: I dunno.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I guess I've covered enough meetings to know protocol, but Rosie's right on the money.

If there was a time to get the information between the two meeting sessions, he should have done that. I'd question why he didn't pay attention when he was supposed to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted