1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what's life at square one like?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Nov 21, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First, my sympathies are with you and your family. This is a tough time to lose a job.

But, I'll provide the other side of the argument.

I made the decision a couple of years ago that it was time to start over. I'll be 29 when I start my next job -- lieutenant in the Army -- and I can't wait. Starting over is a chance for Mrs. TBF and I to do something different and put ourselves in a position to start a family (we've been practicing for about seven years now). We view it as a great opportunity and thank God we're able to drop a decent income and send me back to school.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hell, I don't think you played it all that badly.

You just have to keep searching for multiple, viable, acceptable options.

And I wouldn't mention that unfortunate little sidestep on my resume, either . . . especially'
    since it's clear you were dealing with a pathological idiot.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I empathize, particularly this time of year. Being out of work is a challenge we all face.
    I worked at a small daily that (I found out later) shrunk staff each spring after the holiday advertising season. I was engaged and laid off. Joy. I grabbed the state high school guide and started calling, alphabetically, each paper within driving distance. I got a part-time gig, taking calls three nights a week, and eventually ...
    A few years ago, I also considered changing fields. But I found that after going for a master's in urban planning, I'd be at the back of the line again, only 20 years older.
    This is what we do, and I echo the point of view to pursue whatever you can in this field. If you're talented and work hard, you can regain your standing. Keep the faith and good luck.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It might be smart to omit that job from your resume, but DO NOT lie about what you were doing then. If the new boss finds out you lied to him or her, you're hosed.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

To all:

Many thanks for the encouragement, both in thread and via PMs. I at least feel like my head is clear enough to enjoy this holiday and then attack this full force.

In case anyone hasn't mentioned lately, y'all rock.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Dixie, I've been there, done that as well. At 37, I got fired from the community edition of a large, metro for a completely bullshit reason. Spent the next 10 months beating my head against the table of SE's hiring kids out of college for prep jobs and metros not giving me the time of day.

My wife was threatening to kick me out of the house if I didn't find a job by the summer. Like Babs, I got lucky. With two months to go, got in at the PR firm I'm at now and haven't looked back. I miss journalism less and less every day.

I freely talk about my firing to anyone who will ask. It made the Internet and except for some of the asshole bloggers, everyone knows it was utter BS.

If you were willing to come to SoCal, we have an opening at our firm, but it sounds like your wife is pretty well set there.

I know you've done this, but continue beating the bushes for biz and PR jobs. Stress the fact you can write and that you've been in the news business, so you know what reporters want and need. Stress that fact again and again and someone with a brain will hire you.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

slappy - that seemed like the obvious to me upon first read. i was attempting to avoid the "petty, you unethical bastard" retort, though.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell, even I concede that you give good advice on occasion....

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my heart goes out to hack, slappy. guy tries to do the right thing by going back to his girl's home, then it turns out it's not all it's cracked up to be as far as gainful employment goes.

hopefully mrs. dixie understands marine biologists don't prosper in the midwest any more than folks with j degrees prosper in the middle of podunk.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I just started over (left newspapers for another medium) in my late 30s and I'm very pleased. Sure I wish I was in my late 20s instead of my late 30s. But you'll be fine.

You have time.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's the new medium?

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Radio. The money's just as lame but the hours are great. I work Monday through Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted