1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what's everybody doing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Keeping family and friends close. Job didn't love me back in the best of times. Sure as hell doesn't now.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not a good time to be on the ladder. Every non-management newspaper job I've ever applied for (much less held) has been zero-budgeted and whoever held that job (including those hired behind me) has been laid off. One of the management jobs went out of existence when the newspaper folded its tent.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm watching Craig Ferguson.

Craig Ferguson is good.

Soon, I expect to grab another Diet Coke from the fridge.

That should get me to tomorrow.

4. Shot... Craig's taking six months off from touring, but when that self-imposed furlough is over, go catch his weekend stand-up act. He usually does Friday and Saturday shows in the same region of the country (hence the reason his Friday TV show is taped on Thursdays). And he's twice as good on weekends in person as he is weekdays on TV -- and that's quite a feat. I've seen him once each of last two years.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I very much want to ... thanks.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Craig Ferguson is an amazing talent.

Professionally I'm doing what I've always done, assuming any day could be the last at this company. Like many of you, think it would be best for me if the end came.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good luck. It's not easy, working full time and going to school full time, but plow through and you'll be glad you did.

8. I'm torn between pursuing the dream of a sports news-specific website and teaching and or coaching a sport on the high school level. I know I won't be at my current job much longer because I'm homesick and quite frankly, as a previous poster said, family and friends will love you when this job doesn't.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Took a chance on a start-up daily on the other side of the globe, and it took a chance on me. Eight months on, things seem to be OK — we've only had one reporter called in for police questioning.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I host a karaoke show and freelance quite a bit on the side.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I still subscribe to a newspaper. Sadly, I cannot name another person in my office (of 30 or so) that does that.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Honest answer: I'm saving up cash as fast as I can, trimming the budget to where I can live off a burger-flipper's salary if I need to, and trying madly to figure out the following problem.

1) Want to provide for wife and son.
    2) Want interesting job.
    3) Want to live in wife's hometown, which is one of those doomed manufacturing/agricultural towns in southern Illinois
    4) Don't want to spend a lot of money doing school over again.

Hells if I know the solution to those four, but I keep thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted