1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what would I be making without it????

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, Oct 27, 2006.

1. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

college degrees worth 23K extra in salary....
    apparently they didn't talk to any journos

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10/26/degree.value.ap/index.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Apprently, you'd be paying your paper about $3,000 a year for the opportunity to write for them.

I wouldn't say that out loud and give anyone any ideas, though.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't have a degree and I make $10,000 more than my wife, who does have one.

It's all about return on investment. If it were to give me a significant bump in pay, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It took me seven years to get near 35K in the newspaper biz without a degree.

My wife started above it with one.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

MBA = doubled my salary.

6. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

In other words, 1 + 1 = 2

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Everybody should envision where they will be -- salary wise -- in 10-15 years. That is when your degree will help you.

Although some people without degrees will go on to make significant money, most are limited in what they can make.

A college degree opens a lot of doors and creates much salary potential.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I believe the range is great in coming up with an average on this. There's a person out there making $46,000 more because of a degree ... and there's another person who's making nothing more because of it.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

College degree helps some, but not all. Many more gain the needed experience from actual work in the field. I know of one sports department with three top-tier guys who are solid journalists yet have no degree. I'd have them teach a journalism class without hesitation.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have a degree in sociology. A job in any field related to sociology (social work type positions) start at $23,000. Without a degree, they pay around $20,000 but are usually babysitting bad kids-type jobs. I don't know if the $3,000 extra is worth it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted