1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what was the holdup? Or I just started watching The Wire.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The answer to the posed question is: I have no idea what the holdup was, other than I was (and perhaps am) full of unsuccess.

Just started watching the first three episodes on HBO OnDemand. This is outstanding. God, do I love David Simon episodic television.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It only gets better from there.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was somewhat late to the Wire as I didn't have HBO most of the time, but Ross is right--it only gets better.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Omar's comin.....

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I thought the first three episodes were kind of slow the first time I saw them, but they do a very good job of setting up the story.

6. schiezainc

I tried watching The Wire a couple of years ago and sat through the first episode and said to myself "That's it? Really? F** this show."

But the more and more I read about how everyone loved it, the more I had to at least try to give it a legit shot. Boy am I glad I did.

Apart from a disappointing fifth season, I loved it. It was TV at its best.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm almost finished watching the 3rd season. I almost gave up after the first 3 episodes of season 1 and I almost posted here that I couldn't believe I didn't feel the same love about the show that seemingly every other person in the country did.

After about the 4th or 5th episode, I was totally hooked.

I love Omar. Indeed.

8. schiezainc

The thing is, you go into it expecting something similar to every other cop show. You expect a lot of action and a lot of story but the Wire develops slowly over the course of five years and never gives you more than you need to know to follow along with the characters. That's why the first few episodes are a tough sell and why the show never took off. People can't just watch the "Previously on..." segment prior to an episode and see the next two scenes and be right in the flow of things.

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Just started myself ... unfortunately my local blockbuster is currently missing disc 4 of season 1 because it was defective and they're waiting for the new one. so i'm stalled there until blockbuster gets it shit together.

But i'm hooked.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This kid, whose mama went to the trouble to christen him Omar Isaah Betts. You know, he forgets his jacket, his nose starts running and some asshole, instead of giving him a Kleenex, he calls him "Snot". So he's Snot forever. Doesn't seem fair.

.... Life just be that way, I guess.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Wire is what Homicide used to be. A show that slowly and smartly builds to a conclusion. Too bad that TV execs are too bloody dull to realize that.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You started watching three hours ago and you already know it slowly and smartly builds to a conclusion?

Man. You're good, HB!

Draft saved Draft deleted