1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, what magazines would you subscribe to from this list?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, May 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have some Continental Airlines miles I can convert to magazine subscriptions (I have far more Delta miles for travel purposes). In anticipation of making the transition into "the real world" after 25 years of sportswriting at daily newspapers, I think the first publication I'll pick is The Wall Street Journal.

What others do you like? What are the strengths and weaknesses of these, if you know about them? What reason would a person have to read one vs. the others?

Barron's
    Entrepreneur
    Fast Company
    Financial Times
    Forbes
    Fortune
    Inc.
    Money

There are more on the list of options, but these are the ones I don't know much about. I know I could read a lot of their stuff online, but I still like holding a publication in my hands. Thoughts?

People with intimate knowledge of the ins and outs of any or all on the list are invited to give their opinions.

Thanks.

Footnote: After my job interview last Friday, I'm still waiting to hear if I'm hired. But, another state agency told me I'll be called soon for an interview with that office. Posting here for those who know I'm waiting for some good news.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I used to have to clip The Financial Times for a long-ago journalism gig I had. I think it'd be one of the first places I'd look to subscribe.

Right after that, but not on your list, is The Economist.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good news on the footnote. However, the only reason I'd read any of those would be to cure insomnia.

I vote for Us Weekly.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The Financial Times is definitely the best of the group.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Why? And better even than The Wall Street Journal?

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Based on nothing more than prejudices and assumptions:

Money is a rag.

Entrepreneur, Fast Company and Inc. are niche. I'm guessing you're looking for something more across-the-board.

Barron's used to be the geek choice because of the Market Week section. If you want data now, you're better off with teh Interwebs. And civilians don't read it just to sneer at Abelson the way Wall Streeters do.

So that leaves Fortune, Forbes, the FT and the WSJ. I'd say start with a daily to watch how stories develop, and I like the writing and the politics better at the FT.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm a simpleton, so the Forbes, Money, Fortune, etc. wouldn't be my pick.

I read some out of Fast Company while waiting for maintenance on my car at the dealership last week. Had a few pretty interesting things in it, but it might be more style than substance.

Of course, this is coming from somebody whose only subscription is the Journal of Southern History.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I like the breadth of coverage in The Financial Times. That's why I cast my vote for it.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

is mad magazine still printing?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hold out for a subscription to Jugs.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll echo the vote for The Economist.

But of the ones on your list the FT should be No. 1.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

FT. It's like the WSJ, but with a more international perspective. Between the two, you'll know your economic shit right quick. A lot of reading, though, to keep up.
    As for weekly/monthly, Fortune/Forbes are fine. Kind of eh. Same for Barron's.
    I like Fast Company. It's kind of about ideas and innovation. Plus it's the best-written of those business mags you listed, IMO, and consistently interesting, if not necessarily "useful." I actually just traded in some miles for a subscription.
    My wife gets Entrepreneur. Very how-to on running a small biz. If you don't do that, don't bother. Inc. is similar, I believe.
    Not that familiar with Money.

Draft saved Draft deleted