1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So tonight I did do the right thing...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, May 2, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Home team gets called for two penalties tonight. One is a your basic thirty seconds in the box, the other is one you don't see very often and goes for two minutes.
    Time guy screws up, lets the second player go after only sixty seconds. Nobody notices at the table except for Farmerj, who has to keep her mouth shut because she's impartial.
    Home team scored goal before penalty was supposed to be released which is when the away scorekeeper makes a stink about it. Goal is wiped off the board and away team gets posession.
    I felt like a giant jackass, since everyone at the scorers table knew that I knew and didn't say anything. Even the coaches are looking at me wondering what the hell is going on. They did understand that it wasn't my job though.
    So, did I do the right thing?

BTW, as an interesting note to my earlier thread this week, tonight away team was missing seven players due to injury. Eight by the end, when a kid was carted off after he took a shot (a real shot, not a punch) to the throat. I did mention that. In detail.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah. You aren't supposed to interfere, and change things.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Make a mistake. Learn. Improve. Well done FarmerJ.

And yes, you did the right thing. You saying something would have been the same as a football reporter telling a coach the other team's defensive formation - well maybe not that extreme, but you get my point. Stay impartial and stay out of the way.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Much as I enjoy making fun of you, I've got nothing here. Well played.

5. fremont

fremont Member

A football coach who can't identify the other team's defensive formation is probably going to lose anyway...

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

FJ -- when fans behind me yell that the scoreboard is wrong, when it is actually correct, i tell them so, usually letting them check my scorebook. That usually elicits a "how do you keep score like that??"

But if the scoreboard really is wrong, I just sit there and be quiet like you did tonight.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Or not played, as the case may be.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would say it's more analogous to saying, "Hey coach, they have 12 players out there."

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Better analogy.

Draft saved Draft deleted