1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So now PorkChop is on the list of offensive words!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can honestly say, I have never heard of this being used as a slur. Seems like the guy who complained might have just had a pork chop for lunch one day and it was a nickname.

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Two days after naming its mascot “PorkChop,” the Philadelphia Phillies’ new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker after receiving complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.
    The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, whose mascot is a large, furry pig, had selected PorkChop from more than 7,300 fan submissions. The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named “Ferrous” instead.
    General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.
    “We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word ‘pork chop,’” he said. “If it offended a few, it’s a few too many.”
    Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called “pork chop” when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.
    “If my parents were alive, they’d be having fits,” said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. “It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley.”
    The online Urban Dictionary, which accepts entries from readers, says Pork Chop is a racist term used to refer to people of Puerto Rican descent.
    PorkChop had been submitted by 32 fans. The replacement name, Ferrous — from the Latin word “ferrum,” or iron — received the most fan nominations, with 235.
    The team moved to Allentown from Ottawa — where it was known as the Lynx — following the 2007 season. Construction is wrapping up on a new stadium in east Allentown.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

Doug cannot be reached for comment.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack was a fine All-SEC offensive lineman at Mississippi State in the mid-90s.
    He's now with the Seahawks, and nobody's ever gotten offended, that I know of, about his name.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a pork chop who hangs out at the Goose.

Except he's really a wop.

Yes, it's a slur. Just one of the less common ones. :)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've never heard that term used for anything other than a battlefield hill or something on a plate served with gravy

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can someone explain WHY "pork chop" is offensive? What does it relate to?

Lots of races eat lots of parts of pigs, so that can't be it, can it?

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Evidently Puerto Ricans.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is "cracker" a slur? I see it on the SportsJournalists.com message boards many times.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Cracker is a derogatory term towards whites.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I thought "Pork Chop" referred to Portuguese. If that isn't the case, then I guess I'll need a breakdown of the real list of offensive terms and who they apply to.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That was a new one for me, as well.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The only people I thought might be offended by being called pork chop were fat people. I honestly thought that's who was protesting.

Never heard it in relation to race in any form. Can't even imagine how it relates to Puerto Ricans, really.

Draft saved Draft deleted