1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so much for small weeklies being like cockroaches ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Jan 13, 2009.

1. times38

times38 Member

looks like CNHI called in the exterminator ...

http://www.thenewtonrecord.com/homepage/local_story_002183233.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

owners are having problems...

MONTGOMERY - The two biggest pension funds run by the Retirement Systems of Alabama lost more than 15 percent on their investments in the year that ended Sept. 30, results that trailed those for most other public employee pension funds included in a national survey.

The survey by Callan Associates Inc., an investment-consulting firm based in San Francisco, includes more than 100 public funds nationwide, mostly state and local pension funds.

RSA's biggest pension funds are the Teachers' Retirement System and Employees' Retirement System, which together on Sept. 30 had $26.8 billion in stocks, bonds and other assets, down from the $32.3 billion in assets they had a year earlier.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

107 years ...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

CNHI looks to be the next one in line to collapse.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

if you can't make money at a weekly, you just don't know what the fuck you're doing.

I've been around too many to know that they are all cash cows.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if the state retirement system goes with it...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

CNHI is leveraged up to its neck. Probably makes them quicker to say, "Fuck it. Cut the cord."

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Insert Spnited joke here.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Neither the time nor place

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, when you see something like this happen, do you ever wonder if you could make it work?

I always do. I think there has to be a way — but only if you owned the press and treated your website like a daily newspaper and cross-promoted the site in the paper and the paper on the site.

11. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Did anyone catch the "four employees" part ... kind of hard to put out a decent product with that number I would think...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Hell no.

Draft saved Draft deleted