1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So much for "I know football" to win pools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 24, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sarah Mabee, a 21-year-old bartender in Pickering, doesn't know a lick about football.
    But through what she calls "random luck," she picked all 13 NFL winners this week in only the second time she has tried the Pro Picks Pools lottery game.

That $5 wager won her $444,186, the largest Ontario sports pool lottery prize ever won, eclipsing the previous top prize of $404,452 in October 2004.

It proves my point. You don't need skill to win," her 36-year-old boyfriend of a couple of years, Ron Meredith, joked at the cheque-presentation ceremony in downtown Toronto.

Meredith tried to talk her out of at least one of those picks.

For the Monday night game, he advised her to take the Cowboys over the Giants.

He knows football, he says, but admits he hasn't won anything on the NFL.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161684113244&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

You mean even the boyfriend advocated picking the Raiders to win on Sunday? :eek: I thought he said he knows football?

I saw that on Global News. You'd think something that complicated would pay out a bit more than $444,186, wouldn't you? I mean, when you compare it to something incredibly simple, like buying a $1 Quick Pick and potentially winning $20 mill.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaah, some guy picked all 13 games right in the NFL pool I run at my library a couple weeks ago. He won a pennant.

Draft saved Draft deleted