1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I see the point, and it might have merit. Ultimately, again, time will answer all questions.

See, one of the reasons why I don't believe that the sport is a fad is because its rise hasn't been a straight rocket to the moon. Popularity has ebbed and flowed but it has never crashed through the floor. As I mentioned, I think the real test was when the first generation of stars got old. That test was passed. Last year was a big year. The year before not so much. It's a star driven business and McGregor and Rousey are lightening in a bottle (yeah, I never met a cliche I didn't like). Popularity will (probably) dip when they go away. Then when the next superstar comes along popularity will rise again. There has also been a phenomenon where as MMA becomes something people accept as a sport, and I get the sense that attitudes to MMA can often be split along generational lines, that when the superstars do hit they hit bigger than the last set did.

MMA is also a professional outlet for people from the non-boxing combat sports who traditionally had no professional outlet. So, while there is no state sponsored amateur program in the way there is in boxing you do have new talent being developed. For example, the US sent six freestyle wrestlers to the 2008 Olympics. Four of them later became MMA fighters. The men's judo heavyweight gold medal winner from that Olympics also became an MMA fighter.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'll add to cran's list and say that the sport also gets a major pass on domestic violence. That is the scarlet letter in most major sports these days. But in the UFC, a guy like Anthony Johnson, who has been accused of domestic violence more than once, is one or two fights away from a belt.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I think that pass is the wrong word. The mainstream media don't care that much about MMA. So the sins of MMA fighters don't get as much coverage as the sins of other athletes.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ray Rice gets kicked out of the league. Anthony Johnson gets a title shot.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How are the MMA reality shows doing? Those might be a leading indicator of interest in the sport.

I also wonder whether the business model of one dominant company tightly controlling the matches is a positive or negative for the continued growth.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Ray Rice got kicked out of the league not because the NFL genuinely cares about domestic violence (they way they initially handled the situation shows that) but because there was a video tape and it caused an avalanche of bad publicity that made the NFL look bad. If Anthony Johnson got caught on video tape knocking out his domestic partner then he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Not because the UFC care about domestic violence but because he'd get them lots of bad publicity.

Anthony Johnson's history with domestic violence is thus...

Anthony Johnson won't be suspended or cut by UFC for actions towards Florida woman

What is referred to as "this recent incident" in the quote above involved him getting into an argument with a woman at a gym and throwing her yoga mat across the room.

You might want to take the attitude that there is no smoke without fire, but Johnson hasn't gotten caught on video knocking a woman out cold. So, I don't think you can compare his treatment with that of Ray Rice. It's not like the NFL was dismissing on mass people with similar histories to Anthony Johnson.

14 Current NFL Players With a History of Domestic Violence - Chris Cook, San Francisco 49ers

7. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The Ultimate Fighter begins it's 23rd season in April. They've also done several international versions of the show. I think when you total up the international versions and the US version there have been 32 seasons. It's a tired concept. I'm a hardcore combat sports fan and I struggle to watch it. It still gets churned out every year but while it was once the UFC's main promotional vehicle over the years it has tumbled in importance. Years ago the main promotional push for the biggest fights would be done by having both fighters coach opposing teams on the reality show. Last year when the UFC wanted to hype Jose Aldo/Conor McGregor they sent them on a 10 city world tour.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Do you like gladiator movies? Ever been to a Turkish prison?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Going back 10 years for a "I TOLD YOU SO!" might be the lamest post in SJ history.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's really weird when they just crack each other in the shins.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not that you really need this info but I feel inclined to give it, as a fan of the sport. They aren't cracking each other in the shins. The person kicking is likely aiming for his opponent's thigh to weaken the legs. A defense to that, second only to getting out of the way, is to raise your shin up in the kick's path. The short term sting of the shin-to-shin contact is better, in a fight at least, than the longer-term pain of a deep thigh bruise. Plus, it gets your opponent thinking twice about throwing a kick if he's only going to be met with a shin.

Also, it could result in this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The man is my hero.

dixiehack, Inky_Wretch and TyWebb like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted