1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, MMA/UFC wasn't a fad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So long story short: Thread title wasn't quite right?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anything that gets sold for $4b isn't a fad - but I do think the sale has required the watering down of the product. The number of PPV events per year hasn't changed, they have added UFC Fight Nights featuring non-belt matches, but that's about it. I imagine there is a big chunk of the audience that doesn't so much care about WHO fights, just that they see some good fighting - the names don't matter. Hell, they got 1.5b for the five-year ESPN deal.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The business model is evolving. Maybe PPV revenue doesn’t matter. It stopped mattering to Vince McMahon. If UFC’s money comes from ESPN then the cratering of the PPV buys don’t matter. As a fan it does make it harder to follow the product. I’ll watch a highlight of a fight or two, I can’t settle in for 6+ hours of fights all that often.

I don’t like UFC’s promotion. Every fighter is sold as the greatest ever. They’re not. And when they lose because that’s what happens in MMA it makes everyone look stupid. But I’ve also watched far less Bellator since they got off TV and went to the streaming based service too

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Now here's one helluva thread.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I liked the Twitter handle "Ben Simmons is just a tall Rondo."

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, this MAGA guy just says the most vile shit, but the two Fredos support him because he wears a MAGA hat and likes their dad?

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friends, I am surprised there is so little discussion about this evening’s main even between Dustin Poirier and Mr. MacGregor!

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like Connor getting KOed might replace Bernie as a meme element.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Live look at McGregor

upload_2021-7-10_21-58-4.jpeg

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excuse. He was using said fractured leg to make extremely hard kicks to Poirier in the first 90 seconds. So either he's lying or he's a fucking idiot. Both are probably true.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has Dana White been fired for slapping his wife? Has UFC’s business partner - ESPN - covered it?

Draft saved Draft deleted