1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So long, corporate Xmas gift

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CM Punk, Nov 18, 2008.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081117/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_corporate_giving

Damn. Guess I won't get my annual coupon book, with dozens of dollars in savings!TM

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: So long, corporate Xmas gilf

Please, for the love of god, change the thread title before people come here looking for pictures of grandmas.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't remember the last time I got a gift from an employer. Probably never.

So, you know, I really won't miss cheap-ass corporate America's belt-tightening.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The last one I got were a set of luggage tags, so I don't miss the gift or the cheap bastard editor either..

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did someone say GILF?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I didn't know employees got gifts.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I received a $50 gift card to the mall at my first job. Hey, I was 17 ... I thought it was pretty cool of 'em.

Surprisingly, I was working in newspapers at the time. I was a part-time circulation clerk and a 7K daily. Best. Job. EVER.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The store owner at my first job gave me a Thanksgiving-like turkey for a new year's gift in 1989. My boss at another job gave me $5 and a card back in 1991. Besides the usual Secret Santa-type stuff, I also remember another employer giving me a $50 gift card to a local mall in 2002.

Then there's my about-to-be-ex-boss who gave me a box of cookies last year.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The bosses at my first job -- the family farm -- gave me a bag of pecans, a box of fruit and a $25 check (less taxes, mind you).

Cheap fucks.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, probably my least favorite paper was best about gifts. Part of that was the ME there, whom I'd still run through a wall to help.

She got us gift cards for yeoman's work on a special section. She knew the ad department had put us through hell - I got it worse than anyone - and I was fortunate enough to end up with a larger amount on mine than many others. I know she said something, and for that, I was - and am - grateful.

Also, the publisher usually had a nice meal sent in near Christmas - complete with bonus checks. Nothing huge, mind you, but compared to other places, the gesture and such has come to mean more and more as the years pass.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

At our place, we'll get a company Christmas at a nice place and exchange presents. I'll spend a total of about $60 for the higher ups and some chocolate for the co-workers.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I get a free lunch at a pretty chichi restaurant. We can't get gifts or bonuses as a non-profit, government-funded school.

So I'll just take my 6% percent raise and buy myself a nice present.

Draft saved Draft deleted