1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So long Alcatraz?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Has to be one of the favorite places I've ever visited on vacation.

The day we were there, one of the former prisoners was there meeting folks, signing authographs. Not too many of those guys left.

Then, we bought a book in the bookstore, and when we got back to SF, the author was there doing a book signing.

It's a pretty complete accounting of Alcatraz and a good read if you're interested. The details on all the escape attempts and the elaborate planning and thinking that went into these attempts are fascinating:

Alcatraz: A Definitive History of the Penitentiary Years
    by Michael Esslinger

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Do yourself a favor if you go... Sit on the top step in the exercise area (Where Clint sat in EFA).... The chilly, freshening breeze envelopes you and, on a clear day, the city across the bay is the American Paris.

I sat there for 20 minutes last time I went. Wind was so cold that I was practically alone.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I know the spot you're talking about. We took a lot of photos of SF from a similar vantage point.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Give the peace center a chance!

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn hippies!

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fixed. ;)

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's not happening
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/05/politics/p144849S56.DTL&hw=alcatraz&sn=001&sc=1000

9. So, basicaly, a Hyatt, right?

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

C'mon, guys. It's really not that great. It's really expensive. A bit redundant. And fucking cold out there.
    There's a reason why they sent prisoners there. Why don't you go make a day trip to Folsom, instead?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

OK, if the peace center idea is dead, how about Alcatrazoo? I'd pay to see a concert there, for sure.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The boat ride and time in the prison yard, by itself, is worth the ticket to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted