1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So long Alcatraz?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Feb 6, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

This sounds like a ridiculous idea to me. Hopefully, the voters agree. I thought Alcatraz was very, very cool the one time I was there.

http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/05/alcatraz-to-become-peace-center/

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why can't people leave well enough alone? Just leave Alcatraz alone. Let it be the tourist destination and historical site that it is.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Screw these guys.

My grandfather was a guard on Alcatraz. It's always very cool to see it when I'm in the Bay Area.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love Alcatraz. I went out there twice and it is a really cool historical site to experience and see. Changing it from its present form would be beyond dumb.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Thought it already was blown up.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One of the few ruins you can visit under Uncle Sam's auspices. I highly recommend the book, "Escape from Alcatraz," as it has a thorough history of The Rock and its famous inmates.

Loved the gift shop selling "Wish You Were Here" postcards.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Booooo. What an awful fucking idea.

The Rock was absolutely the highlight of my sight-seeing in San Fran two years ago.

My girlfriend freaked out a little because I had been texting her for about 20 minutes while waiting in the lot to board the ferry. Then, she says, "all of a sudden, you stopped and I couldn't reach you again for 18 hours!" ...

(Real reason: I had been sick as a dog on that trip, and as soon as I got off the island, I went to my hotel room and completely crashed for the rest of the night. But she didn't know that, so it was kind of creepy from her perspective to get a "OK, I'm headed to Alcatraz" sign-off and then go missing for a day and a half. :D)

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I always thought that they should make a hotel out of it, with full simulation of prison conditions.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I didn't know you were into BDSM.

Seriously, though, that would be a creepy place to stay a night. I don't know if I could handle it.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

See? If they had had the "medicine wheel" Da Vid wants to build there, you would have been fine. Your energies would've been balanced and you could have had peace in your colon.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I took the family for the night tour while I was in SF for the All-Star Game last summer. I went there thinking it would be pretty hokey but I was absolutely blown away. I don't usually bother with audio tours but this one was awesome -- former guards and prisoners guide you through the place and tell stories from back the heyday. Save the Rock!

12. The old Moundsville (W.Va) prison, which is beleived to be haunted by the inmates who were executed there, will allow you to spend the night.

Draft saved Draft deleted