1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So let's see: Dems in power for three days and now we've got ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Al-Qaeda attacked US when Democrats were in control-first WTC bombing.
    Al-Qaeda attacked US when we had divided government-USS Cole and the embassy bombings.
    Al-Qaeda attacked US when Republicans had control-9/11
    Folks, your average jihadi out there in the sands or the mountains doesn't give a fuck who's chairman of the House Ways and Means committee. I'm sure that if the GOp had won Tuesday, those folks would've put out a tape taunting the US for THAT.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Iraq mattered," Rove says. "But it was more frustration than it was an explicit call for withdrawal. If this was a get-out-now call for withdrawal, then Lamont would not have been beaten by Lieberman. Iraq does play a role, but not the critical, central role." - Time, November 10

O_T and D_B, among others, seem to be on a different page of the playbook.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

At first I thought it was a joke, but I'm starting to believe Old_Tony believes the stuff he is saying. I'll never understand how it ever got this bad.

Oh, and tony, You're the last 37% of Americans approving of this administration. Congrats! The other 63% of us are with the terrorists.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How this thread lasted four pages is one of the miracles of SportsJournalists.com.

Someone said it best--Tony's original post was straight out of Borat. Or Monty Python.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

First off, I didn't know the Dems were "in power" for the last three days. I'll have to go back and find that eighth-grade social studies book. I must have missed a day when they were talking about the election process.

Once again . . .

The GOP's miserable record gives it no right to criticize anyone — the Democrats, the Canadians, the French, your grandmother, your dog — about their ability to combat terrorism.

You would think that turning Iraq into a hornet's nest for terrorists, Osama bin Laden escaping at Tora Bora and remaining free, the billions of dollars missing from Iraq reconstruction, the hundreds of thousands of weapons for the security forces that are now missing and in the hands of God knows who, the Taliban resuming its grip on Afghanistan and terrorist attacks worldwide reaching an all-time high would give the Republicans humility, or at least pause.

You'd be wrong.

And that's why a lot of them are now ordering moving boxes and bubble wrap.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Joe Rossi,

Why do you hate America? Does Billie Newman hate America? Charlie Hume?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Indeed. This thread needed that photo. Thanks, sportschick.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I asked this question on another thread and got no answer. Maybe I don't understand something, but why is everyone so worked up and scared of terrorists?

This is a free country. With freedom comes some acceptance of danger. It is the tradeoff. What I don't understand is this irrational idea that terrorism in the U.S. is such a threat. About 3,000 people died in the WTC bombing. That's 3,000 in the last five years. You have a much, much greater chance of getting killed by a fellow citizen than by an Islamic terrorist. Vioxx is estimated to have killed about 30-40,000 people. Heart disease is the leading killer of Americans. Why isn't there a better domestic policy to curb crime? Why aren't the Merck executives being held at Gitmo? Why isn't this nation's No. 1 priority for its citizens to eat and live healthier? You should be afraid, but terrorism is way down on the list of things you should be afraid of.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've asked that question many times and have yet to see an answer.

I do believe terrorism is a serious threat . . . if the threat goes completely ignored. They CAN do absolutely catastrophic damage.

But no one I know of supports ignoring it. We only ask that it be fought with intelligence and cooperation between nations, not with the military. We only ask that more attention be paid to our borders and less to nations involved in sectarian conflict 6,000 miles away. We only ask that our leaders TALK to the leaders of nations who are our enemies. Not "appease them" --- which is the GOP term of choice --- but TALK to them.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good points, FDP and BTE.

I don't live in fear of terrorists. I don't have any reason to believe terrorists are targeting my town. Yes, it can happen "anywhere" but it can't happen everywhere.

A car crash is a helluva lot more realistic than a terrorist attack, in this country. I see car crashes every fucking day.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You guys better check with Hondo because he figures there are Muslims lurking in the bushes all over America ready to kill him and his family.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's not whether such acts will get respect from me, it's whether such acts deserve respect from any adult human being. And you brag about it. And that none of your cohorts would tell you this, either, is a reflection on them. You wonder why your side of the aisle is considered the children and then you brag about such things as hocking large loogeys on a car because it has a bumper sticker with which you agree. Now that I know this about you, everything you say carries no weight whatsoever in the arena of adult discussion. You're obviously lacking anything resembling maturity.

Draft saved Draft deleted