1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I've been restructured ... shit...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Now it's probably too late because what are you going to do, buy a policy for a month? When I was in between jobs, I kept the emergency policy until my new one with my new employer kicked in after a month. Probably best to do that when you change jobs. Remember when companies started your health insurance on the day you started your job? Ah, the good old days, pre-Bush administration.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, don't worry about it. you only can maintain herpes, not get rid of it.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lemme guess, after your first date with her you couldn't get the shit stains outta your shorts so you just chucked 'em, right? :D

On a (slightly more) serious note, that very topic was the basis of a country song that was a huge hit this past summer for Rodney Atkins. The chorus is as follows:

"Come on in, boy, sit on down and tell me 'bout yourself.
    So you like my daughter, do you, now? Yeah, we think she's somethin' else.
    She's her daddy's girl, her momma's world
    She deserves respect, that's what she'll get
    Ain't it, son?
    Now, y'all run along and have some fun
    I'll see you when you get back, prob'ly be up all night
    Still cleanin' this gun."

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words Sam, and I loved this paragraph.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know State Farm sells 3 month bridge insurance. I would assume other companies do as well. It was fairly cheap when I had to use it a few years back. It won't pay for any routine type car, just catastrophic stuff.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Disagree strongly. Buy a policy to bridge ANY gap ... matters not the length of time.

If you think you're safe for a one- or two-day gap, can you be assured some punk in a vehicle stops at the next intersection you cross? Can you be certain you won't get sideswiped or rear-ended the next time you get into your vehicle? Can you just make the diseases - airborne, bloodborne or otherwise - go away while you wait for some new policy to kick in?

Get the policy for the month, week or handful of days to tide you over. If anything happens to you before then, you're up the creek and the paddle has long swum downstream.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yes, of course you all are right about this. Buy the bridge policy. Shop around and see if you can find one for a few months. Sorry, hadn't had enough coffee when I wrote that.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

let me get this right ... you people are suggesting that a healthy human being less than 30 years old should pay $700 a month for health insurance when they are going to receive said insurance in 3 months?

is that it, or am i missing something?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes.

My wife was healthy in July 1999, too.

August 1999? totally different story.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Check and mate.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, a person should have a medical policy at ALL times. It should cost $700 for a single person ... as for a family, well ... it might be that steep. Look around for the companies who offer a reasonably-priced policy ... taking your employer's COBRA policy isn't always the solution.

Given this current litigious society, the skyrocketing medical costs and the CYA theory growing increasingly prevalent, one needs at least catastrophic-level medical coverage. At all times. Without exception.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

disagree with all y'all.

if you're single, younger than 30 and in good health, spend the $700 a month on lottery tickets ... you'd have a better chance of hitting the big one.

Draft saved Draft deleted