1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So it's been a week ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Politics thread, which by number of posts blows away anything else on the site, got locked last Thursday. The primary conflict/grudge match between two posters that seemed to trigger the closure has not cooled down. Instead it has spilled into other threads, more than one of which has also been locked.

Meanwhile, developments in the political world have certainly not stopped because we did.

As the moderators are more than happy to remind less privileged members anytime something like this comes up, it isn't our board, it isn't our decision and we won't be missed. But at the very least, I think we are owed some insight into the plans moving forward so that we can judge for ourselves how much time, if any, is worth devoting to the site.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Seconded.

SnarkShark, YankeeFan and bigpern23 like this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I mean, the answer to that is always "zero" but if we could help ourselves, we wouldn't be here.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know this makes me a terrible person, but I actually miss things that happen in the news cycle when the politics thread is shut down here.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same

Vombatus likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'd expect the next thread started to be an invitation to a 64 man elimination MMA tournament to see who the board champ is.

QYFW, Stoney and dixiehack like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The politics thread is a sewer. I learn nothing there except people's own hard and fast political opinions. I avoid it as much as possible, but its absence has definitely spilled into other threads, mostly because one dude cant. let.it. fucking. go.

That's the sole problem. If you don't like what someone has to say, what they have done, what they stand for, guess fucking what? You can be an adult and ignore them. Put them on ignore. But if you insist on following them and engaging them, because they pissed in your Cheerios and made you feel bad about yourself, then you're a self-flagellating maroon. Seriously, either settle this off the board -- a boxing match -- or cut the shit. It's fucking old. Really fucking old. Old.

Riptide, cyclingwriter2 and Cosmo like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Put Dick and Typefitter in the play-in game.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

@dixiehack What, do you work for Jimmy Kimmel or something?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is totally untrue. Amid those hard and fast political opinions, we get great links out of it. It's one of the best news feeds out there, truthfully.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All due respect to the mods, this seemed like a case in which the issue should have been addressed with the posters, not by locking the thread. And yes, I'm aware that I've been the poster who was the problem in the past.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

100 percent. I rarely engage on the Politics thread because I am woefully ill-equipped to keep up with some of the news junkies on it. But I still always tried to stay current with it because it was a great source of info from both sides.

Also, the back-and-forth bitching sometimes reaches hilarious levels.

SnarkShark, Vombatus, Dyno and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.