1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is McClatchy about to drop the hammer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jun 14, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

It appears something is going to happen this week, I'm just not sure to what extent. Anybody else hear anything specific?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I know nothing, but I've found allusions to layoffs in Fort Worth and Miami.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/blogs/pegasusnewsblog/2008/jun/13/star-telegram-layoff/

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ugh. That is all.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Didn't realize it would be this quick, but have heard rumblings something (layoffs) would happen at some larger McClatchy metros before July.

5. Don't be surprised if layoffs happen in Charlotte and Raleigh, possibly within the week.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

buyouts at the herald. no layoffs.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

yet

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I read this stuff continuously, and it's almost getting to the point where I ask myself, "Is it really worth it?"

9. McClatchy's in bad trouble. Many chains are going to have to start selling some properties.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Well, here's what I don't get - When they bought all those KR papers, they broke out the pom-poms saying how much better things would be and how fiscally smarter they are and how they've had umpteen straight quarters of growth. Of course, I've never trusted suits, but I can respect a man who at least can look me in the eye and say, "Brace yourself. This shit's going to get rough."

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When McClatchy bought the K-R properties, the economy was in better shape. And there was no doubt that McClatchy was doing things better than most.

But it's likely that McClatchy can't survive this economic rollercoaster as is. That stinks, but here's to hoping this company shows a little more humanity than some of the others.

12. McClatchy took on a ton of debt to acquire the papers...combined with the economic downturn, that's been a double-whammy for the company.

Draft saved Draft deleted