1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm sitting in an airport in middle America ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Jul 26, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Start taking bets on the arrivals and departures a la Kramer.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Well, our flight is delayed until 1:30 p.m. CDT. We're going up to pick up a meal voucher from a surly airport employee and then we're heading out to the mall, or something.

The wonders of traveling!

When I get back, I expect a thread full of frightening mothers of gay icons, drag queens and the like. Happy posting.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That looks like a clip from the cantina scene in Star Wars.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was just about to say that it is going to take hours for your flight to be ready. I was on a plane in NYC once where it was delayed, first 45 minutes, then longer, then longer, then longer, and eventually it was four hours. We were told there was something wrong with one of the indicators on the pilot "dashboard" and most likely it wasn't really a problem with what was being indicated, but just a faulty indicator. Still, they had to get a mechanic and all the paperwork filed, etc., etc. So the problem itself sounded small to fix, it was the paperwork that took forever. THEN they had lost their spot in line so we had to wait even longer to get on the runway.

Have fun being bored in the airport all day!

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Not only was that the best post I have seen in a while, it was also to the scariest picture I have seen in my life.
    Screaming and laughing at the same time, a great combination.

6. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Agreed. When I went to Vegas last December to get married, our flight was delayed, then canceled after a mechanic needed to be called in. We lost basically an entire day, as instead of flying directly to Vegas, the best they could do was fly us to L.A. and then connect to Vegas. It was worse for my best man and his wife; they had to fly to San Fran and connect. And this was flying from JFK in New York. The air travel business is maddening.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Had to have been Laguardia. It's so bad that they factor an extra 45 minutes into flight times because they can never get planes off on schedule. The planes get in line and they criss cross departures and arrivals. One plane lands, and 15 seconds later, after it passes over the takeoff runway, one plane takes off. On average it takes 3 minutes per plane in line to get off the ground and very often there is a line of 10 to 20 planes.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No, not the red x. Anything but that! The horror!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is Liza's beau even real? He looks like a Phantom Of The Opera mannequin.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bubbler, speaking of red x's, your side sig is AWOL.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope you're at neither Chicago Airport... I hate both of those airports with a passion... You would think a city like CHicago could have an airport as nice as Detroit's...

Draft saved Draft deleted