1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I'm going to Chicago...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ostentatious, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

The wife has a couple-day trip planned where we are going to fly to Chicago in September and she asked me if there is anything that I wanted to do/see.

One of the days is already crossed out as she wants to see a couple of the museums.

I'm from Darin Erstad's hometown but the Sox are out of town (he's not playing every day anymore and I kind of doubt he'd be playing if they were in town, but still), I think the Cubs are playing Houston or the Dodgers when we are there and the Bears don't have a game. But, long story short, as a Brewers fan I just don't know if I can bring myself to giving money to Cubs.

I feel kind of overwhelmed by the question...I would imagine Chicago has pretty much anything and everything to do.

Any suggestions on things that you 'have' to see when in the Windy City?

Thanks in advance.

2. 20questions

20questions Guest

If you have kids (and even if you don't), Shedd Aquarium is pretty cool. Navy Pier, for my taste, is overrated.

If you want vintage Chicago, the Billy Goat Tavern isn't bad, but just walking in there makes you want to shower. Rosebud on Rush is my choice for Italian. Jilly's on Rush St. is a great Sinatra bar. Off the top of my head at 1 a.m., that's all I've got.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hit Chez Luis for lunch. Tell them you need a table for three, and that you're Abe Froman.

But seriously, hit a Cubs game if you can. Even a Brewers fan can appreciate the atmosphere, save for the idiotic fans. ;D

4. offwing28

offwing28 Member

A little pricey, but we enjoyed this <a href="http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8">architecture cruise</a>. An hour and a half on the river with an informative talk.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Hit the Chez Paul and tell Mr. Fabulous hi.

Bacino's Pizza in Lincoln Park is my choice for the deep-dish stuff. Unreal. Shedd Aquarium is mandatory but I can give or take Adler Planetarium. Your wife is smart to budget a day for museums. That'll make the trip well worth it.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never been in the aquarium, but I do know that if you want a picture of the Chicago skyline, that's the place to take it.

Re: Navy Pier, maybe, but I can never pass on the Farris wheel.

Good call on Rosebud on Rush St. The Sinatra bar I went to, though was called Frog Bar. A little pricey, but great place.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Drive north for ninety minutes. Catch a game at Miller Park.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Drive south 120 minutes. Mow my grass.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Agreed, if you're not from the Midwest and this is one of your few times you can get to the area, you might as well drive or take Amtrak up there to see a game.

I'm sure your wife already has this down, but walk down the "Magnificent Mile." Good window shopping. I just hope she doesn't drag you in to too many shops.

As for deep dish, I grew up going to the Gino's East downtown, but I'm pretty sure it's changed locations a few times. I know at one point it was in the old "Planet Hollywood." Giordano's also makes a good pie. Can't go wrong with either.

10. I lived in Chicago for years. IMHO ...

Gino's East is the best place for deep dish pizza. D'Angostino's in Wrigleyville is a nice place for thin crust. I don't know what to say about the whole Brewers fan going to a Cubs game, but the atmosphere in and around the ballpark is nice. I'd recommend going.

Like someone else mentioned, your wife is smart to budget a day for museums. I do miss the Art Institute. That's the top one I'd recommend. Museum of Science and Industry is nice. So is the Field Museum. Shedd is nice for an aquarium. (I scuba dive, so I'm not that impressed by any aquariums anymore.) But whoever mentioned that the view of the skyline from the Shedd is good is right. Navy Pier is overrated. It's just like any festival style mall along the water in any city.

I never got a chance to do it, but I always heard that the architecture cruises were cool. You should at least see the Magnificent Mile and along the river there for the architecture (and the window shopping.)

Lincoln Park (the park) and the neighborhood are also nice.

A couple of other eats places ... Moody's for hamburgers and Superdawg for hot dogs.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Architecture cruise is fun. The art institute is great and next to new millennium park, so that's a plus.

12. Mira

Mira Member

I second the suggestion to Millennium Park. It's a must-see. Also, if it's a clear day, going to the top of the Sears Tower is one of my favorite things to do.

There are so many good places to eat on the low-end and high-end. Cafe Spiaggia is amazing, as is La Frontera, Sushisamba Rio and Cafe Ba-ba-ree-ba on Halstead (near Steppenwolf Theater). That whole neighborhood by Halstead near Armitage is a great place to wander, shop or find a nice place for drinks.

If you have a daughter, you might want to check out American Girl Place.

Draft saved Draft deleted