1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So if you're a player named by Mitchell...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

....what now?

Do you deny? Admit it? Stonewall?

If MLB follows the recommendation to not levy punishment, do you actually gain more by taking the high road and admitting it?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you're active, come clean and admit it.

If you're Roger Clemens, retire.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If you admit to something that wasn't illegal -- accroding to MLB rules -- at the time, then is it illegal? It's like smoking hash in Amsterdam.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

At that point you clearly are not there to talk about the past. :)

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Purchasing and possessing anabolic steroids is a felony. Illegal.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you're Clemens... I have no idea what you do.

If you're now in broadcasting like Vina or Justice (who by the way hosts a kids show on YES), I don't know man, I don't know.

I guess they'll deny.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Go to Mitchell or to MLB and say "yeah I did it" and move on. There is no formal punishment or any type of punishment that will rectify all of this.

Public embarassment by having your name out there is a start.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wonder if people will make the same argument for Clemens that the did for Bonds, the one that goes, "He was a HOF'er before he started taking steroids!"

The question is: Was he?

If you're Clemens, I think you're pretty much fucked. You can deny, but no one is going to believe you.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Giambi seemed to succeed with the non-apology apology. America loves to punish its household gods, then award them a second chance.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So in this case you actually CAN blame the media.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if someone else buys them and injects them into your ass?

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And I would expect that to follow through. They can give the non-apology apology all they want to.

I think this is needs to be stressed: there are a lot of names in this report. There is a list of those who were "reported" and those who "have done it." It sounds nit-picky, but I know that I'm going to spend my Christmas reading 409 pages of this report.

I'm more interested in how it was purchased, who ordered them, and how did others knew about it, and how it was distributed to the individual players or locker rooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted