1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I May Have Turned Old Overnight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, May 18, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

True story:

A friend of mine got a tattoo in ninth grade. It was slightly above his right shoulder blade. He figured his dad would LOSE IT if he ever found it.

So, my friend, an athlete (golf, baseball, football) who was fit (always, I mean ALWAYS had his shirt off in the summer) and ended up working summers in construction kept it hidden from his dad for FIVE YEARS.

He brought shirts to the shower. If he didn't, he'd sling the towel over his shoulder and walk to his room.

After five years, his dad finally saw it. I was there. He didn't know his dad came home early from work. He was sitting on the couch when my buddy came out of the bathroom shirtless.

"When did you get that?" he asked.

"About five years ago," my friend answered.

His dad was floored.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Where's Frank_Ridgeway when you need him? ;D

Sounds like an elegant tribute, Dirk. I think she'll cherish it and never regret it. My next tat is going to be in part a tribute to my two late grandfathers.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Part of me wishes I could live long enough that at some point I see a bunch of little kids pestering Granma Brittney to show them her tats. And part of me thinks such has already happened.

4. I consider it my solemn duty to post the Swayze tat in every thread re: the subject:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Shit. Given her apparent lack of parenting skills, it might not be that long.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The number of tats I have: One
    The experience I have of parenting and child-rearing even: None, zero, zip, nada, nil.

The rules I have about tats:
    No. 1 and it's the most important —They'd better mean something very special, personal and make you think about the reason you got it in the first place EVERY time you see it, or somebody else sees it.
    No. 2 — Be able to explain what it is, and why you got it to your Grandma and you Ma so they (sort of) understand it.
    No. 3 — Have it done by a tatoo-artist — not somebody you met in the prison yard — so it looks good. Spend the extra money because it's going to last forever.
    No. 4 — Ink it in a place where it's shown when you want to show it off. Example: Show it at a pool party, not a cocktail reception and certainly not a funeral.
    No. 5 — Go back to No. 1 — Make it meaningful. "I liked the design," or "I thought it was cute," or "My body is a canvas," doesn't cut it.

Bottom line — keep it classy and it sounds like "Lil' Legume" has done that.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Listen, with what you've been through, you win the "Tough Parenting Trophy"

8. Dirk Legume

It really did seem like a very big deal to her, and I suppose I can respect that. I think it's just the permanance of it that gets me. I'll get over it.

At least it's not cat butt ;D

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, this is on a woman...

[​IMG]

10. Dirk Legume

Well, great. I feel much better now :)

11. I had told my mom when I was about 18 that I wanted to get a tattoo. She didn't really care so much. Her words were, "I don't care if you get a tatoo. Just don't come home with any damn piercings." I now have six tattoos, all of which can be covered at any given time. It sounds like she got something that she will cherish forever.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It could be worse...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted