1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I just registered to take the LSAT...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

...in October.

I think there are a few people on here who have taken it or thought about it.

Any hints or impressions?

Thanks.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Take a lot of practice exams. They will improve your score.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I took it blind in college and got a really high score. It wasn't a good idea at the time (I think I got lucky), so I'd suggest taking practice exams and buying the Kaplan (OK, I like Kaplan cause they tend to have more practice tests) book on the LSAT and studying a wee bit.

Good luck!

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks! I read through a bit of one of the Kaplan guides at the library the other day, and they do have a bunch of practice tests, so I guess I'm going to have to go buy 2009 edition. They've helped me on past tests, I just think I need to do a better job prepping for this than I did the GRE. :)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks, tbf.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i took it in 2003. now i'm a lawyer. the LSAT was miserable. i took princeton review. my score dropped two points from the pre-class test to the final one.

my only advice is to do as many practice tests as possible. there are ways to get copies of every single past test that has been administered.

it's almost impossible to overstate how important this test is to your future as a law student. it shouldn't be this way, but a score in the 98th or 99th percentile is a virtual guarantee that you'll get into an ivy league or similar school. or better yet, get a nearly full ride to a second- or third-tier school.

for some people, this stuff is easy. for most, it's not. unless it comes easy to you, practice, practice, practice.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks for the advice, leo1.

Theoretically, my educational background should have me prepared for the material on the test, but I am indeed going to practice, practice, practice.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is it your ambition to go to a top-tier school? Because if not, a decent score will get you in somewhere.

10. OK, right here, right now, underline in bold letters:

DO NOT USE PRINCETON REVIEW OR KAPLAN'S BOOKS TO PREPARE.

Let me repeat:

DO NOT USE PRINCETON REVIEW OR KAPLAN'S BOOKS TO PREPARE.

Or any of the commercial companies that you can buy at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

They don't use real questions. And it makes all the difference.

What you should do is immediately buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible. It is the most important book you will buy during this process, without question.

Also, buy as many of the real tests as you can. There are three books with 10 tests each, put out by the LSAC. Some are older, and the older the tests are, the less it reflects the current test.

So buy as many recent ones as you can. They sell them for $8 apiece on the LSAC site. There is also a book available by the LSAC/LSAT that has three real tests with explanations for the answers.

BUY THAT.

Finally, I found the following books, which also have answer explanations to serve as companions to REAL LSAT TESTS very helpful for reading comprehension, which is going to be an absolute bitch for you, and is twice as hard as it was just a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Answers-Unauthorized-Unsurpassed-Explanations/dp/0974853348/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220047088&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Explained-Unofficial-Explanations-PrepTests/dp/0974853356/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220047088&sr=1-3

Don't mail this in. It will be the most important test you ever take. Even if your aspirations are only to go to Local U, a high LSAT score will save you tens of thousands of dollars.

Let me repeat: Do NOT go to Borders or Barnes & Noble and buy the commercial brand books. They don't work (you can, however, find on eBay and other places the books that Kaplan's sells with its actual prep course, which does have real answers. But you can only find it used - they don't sell it otherwise).

Let me also repeat: Powerscore Logic Games Bible. They also have a Logical Reasoning Bible that is helpful.

Any other questions, I'd be glad to help. I'm just a year removed from this.

11. What did you get? It seems like a test where it would be tough to score high without prepping a lot, but then again, some people are naturals.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you neither underlined nor bolded. fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted