1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I just graduated.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Jun 1, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Congrats on your graduations.

By the way, did you read the newcomers thread?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sneed, I've got one word for you, my boy. Plastics.

Oh, and try to keep your hands out of Mrs. Robinson's cookie jar! ;D

Seriously, Sneed, best of luck to you and the future Mrs. Sneed on the job search. Keep after it.

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I wish I was good at witty comebacks.

Thanks for all the good lucks and such.
    Honestly, I'm doing everything I can to break into magazine writing. I'll be working part-time for a mid-sized daily where the future Mrs. Sneed and I will be living after we get married. The SE there was surprisingly eager to work with me--I thought I'd have to convince him to take me on as a freelancer, but he was awesome, really wanted to know when I'd be in town, was all about getting me some work, so that was kind of cool.

I also know a photographer for Our State mag in NC, and she's going to get me in touch with their editorial folks, which is also kind of cool.

And I'm working on a book, but I don't have an agent or publisher or anything yet. [Anyone know anybody? Is anyone somebody?]

Unless I land a steady full-time job, I'm likely going to go back to school to get a master's so I can teach in college and freelance on the side. I'm one of the guys who got into journalism because I loved writing and read enough to be decent at it.

So guess to answer that question--I'm trying to avoid newspapers, but I do love them. I like covering games fine, I like the drama that surrounds sports, I like the passion with which so many players play. I like watching crazy fans yell at refs. I don't like the emails from parents whining about little Suzie not getting enough attention for her four points in last nights 75-25 loss to Podunk, but such is life.

It's just sad that they're shrinking too much for me to do the in-depth stuff I really enjoyed in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted