1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I just graduated.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Jun 1, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yes, I now just realized it. ;D

But to add something to this thread, I couldn't have felt more in your situation more when I graduated last year, Sneed. I got home, sat down and turned on my laptop to start searching for jobs and thought, "Wow, I'm no longer in college anymore. I actually have to start looking for a job."

It was a scary realization when I looked back on it and put my best four years of my life into perspective.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh, yeah, good luck Sneed and future Mrs. Sneed.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I graduated on a Saturday and started working on Monday.

Couldn't stand the thought of being unemployed

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I did the same. And really, I started the job part-time a few weeks before graduation. That was kind of nuts.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wish I could have been that lucky, or rather, smart.

I stayed at home and sent resumes morning till night hoping I'd get that sweet newspaper gig. After two months of no luck, I gave up and just found a job nearby to bring in some income.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lay off Kevin. He's been drunk for a year.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Solid, BYH.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good luck, sneed.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sneed sucks and he fucks puppies and he makes up all the quotes in his stories.

(Sorry dude but I'm job-hunting too, gotta make you look bad, nothing personal :D)

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Too funny to go unquoted.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, and good luck to Sneed and his lovely girlfriend.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

are you looking for a job with newspapers? not being snarky, just curious.

even back in the day it was not easy to break in; connections always help. i graduated in may '78. i didn't land my entry-level position until november.

even that was a stroke of luck/timing/connections: my dad worked in the n.y. garment district with a guy who was buds with the head of personnel for the n.y. daily news. when the news and other papers went on a three-month strike in '78, several of the copyboys left for other jobs. my dad's pal called his news buddy and told him about me and landed me a job interview.

go figure.

best of luck, whether you're looking for something in our biz or not. it's awfully tough out there, either way. go get 'em. ;) ;) ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted