1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I got a Wii for Christmas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well, you are the unibomber.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Tecmo Bowl? Sweet Jesus.

I just called my boss and told her I'm out sick until July.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/tecmobowl/index.html

I like the Bears (Payton on offense, Singletary defense).

Only costs like five or 10 bucks to download, IIRC.

As far as other sports games, I'd play them on the 360 rather than the WII (excluding Mario Kart and Tecmo Bowl). You can play two players on Tecmo Bowl as well.

You can also download Super DodgeBall (a cult classic), Bases Loaded, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Cruisin USA, WaveRace 64. All games are one or two player.

4. I said what I said and when I visited home for Christmas this past weekend, my mom had bought herself a Wii. Holy crap, I love that thing. I was halfway tempted to steal it and bring it home with me.

She just has the Wii Sports and Wii play, but they're all a blast. Didn't get to play too much, but I topped out at 205 on bowling, though my uncle bowled a 224.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

There are other threads with plenty of ideas for Wii games, but I will mention that if anybody wants to play MarioKart, Smash Bros. Brawl or Guitar Hero World Tour, PM me. We did an SportsJournalists.com MarioKart tournament earlier this year which was fun, though I think it'd be better if we could do an eight-people-at-once party sometime.

Oh, and FYI, the Internet Channel isn't that good. I rarely use it since it doesn't support a lot of built-in video (YouTube being a notable exception to that rule) and doesn't support multiple tabs/windows. For $5, you could do worse though.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Super FREAKING Dodgeball! OK, I'm getting a Wii soon!

Also coming out next year for all you older Nintendo fans:

Punchout for the Wii! Updated graphics and everything. It looks awesome

7. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

This thread has been dormant for a while, but I two questions for Wii owners as I'm seriously giving thought to purchasing one.

With the built in wi-fi, does that mean I wouldn't have to hook it up to the internet via ethernet cord? Also, how strong/reliable is the wi-fi connection?

8. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

As long as you have wireless internet in your house, then yes, you can hook it up without a cord.

The WiFi connection is more for the gaming, store and News/Weather channels. It doesn't have an internet browser, or at least I haven't seen one. I have a computer for that.

I just use the WiFi connection to download games and whip my friend's asses at MarioKart and Animal Crossing.

9. jps

jps Active Member

blair, haven't done it, but you can download an internet browser. costs like $5. not sure how good it is at all, but might look into it -- if it works to watch video, would be nicer than watching on the computer screen.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kareem Skyhook's new ID. ;)

11. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Ah, gotcha. I have a connector thingy for my MacBook Pro to the TV, so I don't have to fuss with that either.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The browser is made by Opera, but it's very simple. It'll store bookmarks but no tabs, no multiple windows of any sort. Aside from Youtube it runs very few video formats, though Youtube alone is quite a nice feature to have on your TV.

If you have a bluetooth keyboard it'll pair up with the Wii and I imagine that would make the browsing experience far better. As it is, I rarely use it because typing by pointing at the screen and clicking for each letter is incredibly tedious.

The wireless is rated G, which is to say it's slower than the fastest speeds you can get now but does just fine for most applications. When I had a G-rated router I found I never got the top possible speed through the Wii, but when I upgraded to an N router it was far better.

Nintendo recently did a software update which allows you to save WiiWare and Virtual Console games on an SD card, which has really been nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted