1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I get a call from the school...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Feb 12, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I like my oldest son's teacher, but she says really stupid things sometimes.

Both of my boys read every night before they go to bed. If they were supposed to read up until chapter 4, I tell them just to keep reading.

Then, I find out that my son's teacher told him not to read ahead anymore. I called her on it (nicely, as I said, I like this teacher) and she said, "Yes, I asked him not to read ahead because he was telling the others what happened."

I said, "OK, did you ever think of just telling him not to tell the other kids what happened?" and she said, "That's a good point."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

RJ, how old is your son? My daughter's teacher tells her not to read ahead for the same reason. He has tried telling her not to spoil the story for the other students, but that didn't work. She's in sixth grade and she is not the only student in the class who keeps spoiling the story.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good luck with an 8 year old not wanting to tell everyone what's next.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember being that way, too. In a couple of grades we'd read a novel in English class, with each person taking a chapter and reading it aloud each day.
    In seventh grade it was "The Outsiders," and some of the others in my class were painfully slow. So I just started reading it at my own pace and got a few chapters ahead. No big deal, until I was called on to read aloud. I couldn't figure out where we were, and the teacher (we had a student teacher for that class) fussed at me to pay attention and went on to someone else.
    A few days later she called on me again and I was able to figure out where we were. I started reading, and was going so fast the other kids couldn't keep up. It was just normal pace for me. I ripped through three or four pages with the other kids grumbling for me to slow down before the teacher politely said OK, that's good enough.
    I never got called on to read aloud again.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is 8 too young to learn spoiler alerts?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the kid knew what they were doing.

7. 93Devil

The question I would ask is did the kid know they were fucking over the other students when they clicked all the names.

Was there a pattern to the names of the kids clicked?

If I was handing out punishment, I would make you kid go paper pencil activities in my office for a few days while the other kids did the online game.

I would also be very careful about undermining the authority of the school personnel. Laughing and joking about what is going on with this school is setting up a foundation for years to come. Let's say you need the school admins to help you with a bullying problem next year. Admins are human, so if you are being shitty to them now, don't be surprised if they give you 90 percent effort when you need them.

8. 93Devil

What would you do if your kid did this?

What if they wrote "Hello there, retard?"

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would force them to play three years of college basketball instead of going to straight to the NBA so they would learn important life lessons. Happy?

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If the kid were really creative, he'd pull up the school calendar and click on a date in June. Chances are everyone would be starting summer vacation tomorrow.

11. 93Devil

No, but schools are not perfect and parents are not perfect. Hopefully when one or the other isn't perfectly handling a situation, the other will pick up the slack.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your post reminds me of a scene from that 1980s Nickolodeon kids show, "You Can't Do That on Television".

In it, one kid from a class is caught by the teacher passing a note. Teacher rips on kid, and says that he's going to read the note in front of the entire class. Kid looks embarrassed.

Then the teacher reads the note, which said, "Class Dismissed."

Everyone rushes out in front of bufuddled teacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted