1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I get a call from the school...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

RJ, probably should familiarize yourself with how to get to NORAD in a few years....

wargames.jpg

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm not escalating anything. I'm on great terms with the principal.

I don't think the VP cares that I laughed at the initial call. I think she wants to make it look like what my kid did was more complicated than it actually was.

"Oh, his dad is a manager for a tech company (true), I'm sure he taught him how to do this..."

Which is all bullshit... If my oldest is online, he's playing minecraft or Sporcle.

3. RecoveringJournalist

My wife and I were making "JOSHUA" jokes yesterday. :D

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can piss on a spark plug if that'll do any good.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is awesome.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If they continue to escalate it, tell them that, as an IT professional, you will be making your concerns over the safety of their system public, at the next board meeting.

That'll scare them, especially if a reporter attends it.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

After you deal with the VP, try to get your kid an audition for "Scorpion."

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  8. RecoveringJournalist

My wife told me I said, "You do realize we're talking about an 8-year-old?" five times during my call with the VP.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When I was in third grade, we had a grade-wide project where we were supposed to write a message, tie it to a balloon, and then we'd all go into the school yard and release the balloons. The teachers said they wanted us to think hard about what we'd like our message to say, so that when someone found it after the balloon lost its helium, they'd know a third grade kid was thinking of them.

OK, I thought. If someone finds my balloon, I want them to read: "Hello there, fat ass."

Another kid told the principal what I'd written as we were releasing the balloons, and the principal called my mother to tell her how awful I was.

She told me later, she was laughing so hard, she too had tears in her eyes.

Moral here: Kids are awesome.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

When I was in kindergarten, in the middle of winter, the fire alarm went off. The teacher trundled us out of the classroom, with no coats (I remember it was really cold and there was a lot of snow on the ground). The fire department came and after a few minutes, gave the all-clear and we went back into school. My mom found out from my teacher that the alarm had been pulled by a first grader who had just learned how to read. In a "Eureka!" moment, the first grader just did what the pretty red fire alarm box on the wall said: Pull.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In the beginning of second grade, this would be the fall of 1965, our teacher, Mrs. Sterenberg, asked everyone to draw four leaves on a piece of construction paper divided into four spaces, color them with crayons and cut them out. She wanted to hang them as autumn decorations on the panels of the big casement windows in the classroom. My leaves came out nicer than most, so needing to fill up some more window panels, Mrs. Sterenberg asked me to do another sheet. Faced with being asked to to do "extra work" as I saw it, I colored all of the leaves black. I was sent to the school psychologist.

old_tony, KYSportsWriter and Ace like this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Boy, this is good. Explains a lot!
    jk
    For the record, no one has every forcibly sent me to a psychologist. Surprise, surprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted