1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I Bought An iMac - What Should I Do With It?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Okay, so the six-year-old PC conked out on me today and I convinced the wife to FINALLY change to an Apple product.

We got an iMac. It pretty much suits our needs. Has iTunes (we each have iPods). Has iMovie (the in-laws, who live out of town, bought us a video camera to record all the baby's "firsts").

I'm just wondering, what kind of other shit should I use this thing for that maybe I don't know/didn't know it could do.

Also, I work from home quite a bit. Can I create audio files? Podcasts? Anything else to enhance stories/features/blog posts?

Basically, I've used iMacs all my nine-year-life in this business and I've never used them much for more than writing stories and laying out pages.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Give it to me.

"Don't give it to me. My commodore works just fine."--BTE Express

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With that camera, iMovie, iLife and your .Mac account, you can just build a Web page devoted to your baby. No mailing DVDs to the grandparents, just direct them to that URL.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought you loved your Dell?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If you get stuck in the snow, you could jam it under one of your back tires to keep from getting stuck. That's about the best use I can come up with. :D

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Turn it on

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Unpack it. Plug it in.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You can surf the Interwebs.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, yes, yes and yes. You can do all kinds of fun stuff, including audio. Check out the Garage Band software that came with it, or spend a few bucks on QuickTime Pro (not the free QuickTime viewer) to quickly clip audio and video files.

Set up the Mail application to receive e-mail from all your accounts, work/home/gmail/whatever. It makes a great catch-all and good backup for browser-based accounts.

Go browse for widgets at apple.com/downloads/dashboard.

Go download Firefox.

And congrats on joining the cult! :)

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

...Throw it out the window.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Good point; I was getting ahead of myself.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Hey Cadet

I see you can create a podcast using Garage Band. However, is it possible to conduct an interview outside of my home/office using a digital recorder and then inserting that into my podcast? I can't see how, if it's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted