1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your tab coming?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bumpy mcgee, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Padre

Padre Member

we have 15 high schools we preview in a 28-pg broadsheet. To make it stand out every year, we follow a theme, seems to be well-received.
    and, for the umpteenth time, I've mentioned to an ad guy what an easy sell the football tab should be, then have to listen to his excuses.
    Oh well, the best preview, they say, is a done one.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I love our ad dept. I've never seen a group at a newspaper with such a lack of understanding for how deadlines work.

So for the last few weeks, it's been discussed that Sept. 21 would be the publish date for our tab(s), with one paper being in question due to a lack of sales.

This morning I wake up to an email (day after Labor Day) saying that small-town news (the one in question) will be publishing its tab, get this, tomorrow.

Gee, thanks for the 8 hours notice on that (since deadline for that paper is 4 p.m. today). Are you kidding me? You'll get what you get. What a joke.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When does your season start if you were going to publish Sept. 21?

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That aims for the start of the league season, and allows time for the schools to get their team photos done (which our ad people seem to think is an important factor in this crap)

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes. They're wrong.

I don't pass judgment on other papers' situations often, but they're wrong. ;D

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Tab came out with today's paper. Boss was extremely proud of his cover design. Meh.
    Only thing that irked me was the rosters. Dating back to our first tab nearly three years ago, the policy has been if a school doesn't get me the rosters or post them online anywhere, we won't have rosters. We've run tabs without rosters in the past when the 5A or 6A schools in town didn't submit anything, pointing out the school and/or particular coach didn't submit a roster. This time, we had everything we needed except for non-football rosters from one smaller school in a nearby town. That one school is where my boss's kids go to school so he took it upon himself to get all rosters from the school, even cheerleaders. Lovely.

Draft saved Draft deleted