1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how's your golf game these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 31, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

PER HOUR.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've really improved my iron play by making an effort to slow my swing down.

A question -- I use my PW exclusively from 100 yards and in, figuring that it is better to judge my distance with one club than to buy a bunch of wedges. I also rarely hit my sand wedge outside of bunkers -- my sand wedge is of a regular length, while my PW is two inches longer than normal, and a just don't hit the sand wedge well from the fairway. Does it make sense to use diffrent wedges (PW, SW and lob wedge) or to stick with one club?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I use the PW from 100 to about 40 -- where I use my sand wedge until I'm near the green, at which point I go back to the PW.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I haven't been out yet (officially), which is bugging me. I'm going to try and get my first 18 in today depending on traffic and weather. But to keep me occupied I've been going to range twice a day for the last three weeks. Usually spend a good hour on the chipping green working on getting out of the deep stuff, sand, and just touch chips. Then 25 minutes on the putting green. At night I'll come back and spend a good hour on my clubs.

Since doing that I've noticed a pretty good incline in my chipping and basically I feel comfortable with all of my clubs--which is something that's been lacking.

I normally shoot mid-to-high 90's and my goal is to get to 85 and hopefully break it. I work the pro shop at my local course so getitng out shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT:
    Webster: I use my PW usually from the 100-130 range depending on the lie and other factors then my SW in pretty much anything around 100. Then I'll bust out my 60* Titleist vokey for some sky high fun around the 60-70 range.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

A sand wedge can be very difficult to hit......next time you go to a driving range, get a small bucket of balls.....and hit nothing but your sand wedge.

Sand wedge can be a very useful club from 100 yards and in....what makes it difficult to hit is if you over swing the club.....meaning if you hit the sand wedge 90 yards, and you tell yourself to swing a bit harder to hit it 100.....you skull it, and then you get irritated with the club.

Don't be afraid to take a divot either.....Espescially with shorter clubs (PW, SW, etc.)......

6. three_bags_full

It hasn't rained enough here to take a divot. It's like hitting off the cartpath.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My game is up-and-down ... shot 86 one day, 100 the next. The Rules of Golf currently has some of my money. Fucker.

rb

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Slow play is the work of the devil.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The way you guys are talking about sand wedges makes me think I need to buy one. I have a PW and a 56-degree wedge that feels like it was built for someone about 7 inches shorter than me.
    It gets to the point where I putt from 10 yards off the green because I can't be trusted not to blade my PW or my loft wedge over the green.
    But I can't use the loft wedge from any sort of distance either because it doesn't go far enough.
    So, how much does a single sand wedge cost?

10. three_bags_full

If you can't hit your PW, I'd be skeptical that you could use a sand wedge better. I blade my SW three times as much as my PW.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe I explained that poorly. I can hit my pitching wedge fine if I am 60-130 yards out. It is when I get close. I guess I panic about hitting it too far and end up blading it. Part of the problem is the fairways here are like the cart path, so sometimes it is better to be in the rough than on the fairway for chipping purposes.

12. three_bags_full

Draft saved Draft deleted