1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how much does sj.com provide material for sports talk radio?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Saw on the cereal thread where Colon Blow Cowherd was doing a cereal tournament along the lines of what was done here a year plus ago.

And heard a tease today where the 2 Live Stews were going to have the Count from Sesame Street on discuss the recent layoffs.

Coincidence that these stories played out here as well (and first, of course)?

Or is SportsJournalists.com a regular stop for show producers looking for stories and material to push on air?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

God I hate to do this, I mean I really hate it:

Cowherd didn't steal the idea. He was bumbling on like a tool, as usual, and was talking about how everything is better in brackets. "Hey, you could even put cereal in a bracket"... and away he went.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now, if he does a candy bracket, DyePack is gonna hit the mac-and-cheese and creamed corn buffet like a drunk.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Hell, he probably stole the idea from the Sklar Brothers, who are the ones who actually DO put everything in brackets.

5. Anybody who steals anything from The Sklar Brothers deserves the contempt of parasitic intestinal organisms.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow... that was out of left field..

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't even know what the means. What does that even mean? Creamed corn buffet?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And Moddy's gonna hit the roof like a carpenter laying shingles.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes.

Producers look anywhere and everywhere for bits.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless you live in Dallas, where there's plenty of fodder to be found at Valley Ranch.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com in particular? Not sure. Message boards in general? More than you might think.

I post under my real name on the board I moderate. At a meet-and-greet for a local college football team a few years ago, I crossed paths with a veteran sportstalker in our market, who was simulcasting a radio/TV show at that time. Figured I'd introduce myself; when I told him my first name, he immediately said, "From (our Web site)? That's a great site -- I check it out every day."
    We talked for the next 20 minutes, completely ignoring the coach sitting at the table with him.

His current PD drops by the board regularly, and the sports director at another station in town (who used to work for the 24/7 sportstalker) actually posts.

So, yeah. They (and more than a few of the print guys I talk to) are reading ...

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Honestly, they should be looking here for tips.

How many times do stories hit here before the AP wire? Once a week? Once a day?

Hell, I fully expect to read on here that I've been downsized about 10 minutes before the boss calls me into the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted