1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So how many prep gamers did your paper cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Sep 9, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I counted them in my metro today.
    My edition was city final and it had 22 staffed games by either a staff writer or a stringer with 24 more games with a paragraph or more. Some of those games looked to be staffed, but the byline didn't make it my particular zone.
    I was just curious to see what others did.

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

10 staffed/stringing games
    Graph on 34 more
    Scores for every game in the state, with a couple of odd exceptions

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Four, two per writer (volleyball/football doubleheaders).

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

26 games.

Seven staffed, inch count between 13" and 16". Three of those games got photos.

Everything else gets 2-3" shot, divvied up by divisions/leagues. Some are straight adds behind a staffed gamer; some others are a wrap in themselves. We get a lot of mileage out of our head shots with those, too.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

four gamers, threeby =us and one by sister paper, and briefs on three others.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

Four gamers staffed, three call ins for football and three for soccer/volleyball as well as a D-II v-ball call in.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

15 staffed with writer or stringer. every game gets at least 6 inches. six others were call-ins from coaches.
    A shitload of work every friday night.

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

At many metro papers stringers are set up at most of their games. But they just write a few grafs. It's easier to get someone to do it than count on a coach to call.

One paper I worked at had reports on about 80 games. It filled four open pages.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We staffed four and strung four. We only got three prep pages, so the area boxscores had to stand for themselves.

12. my type of town

Draft saved Draft deleted