1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So did the Most Trusted Man in America manipulate the news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, May 14, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You're reading too much into to it Ace. Just thought it was a cool photo of Cronkite enjoying his senior years. Imagine if Hilary had won- it would have been an even more interesting photo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

History has shown you don't "win" wars that have been going on for five years. The other side, sometimes both sides, just stop fighting.

I was surprised how liberal Cronkite was when I read his autobiography. But I also would have seen him fitting in as a New England Republican.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No pictures of Hoover making out with Clyde Tolson?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

With the exception of Europe in 1944, which was five years after that war started.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or the United Colonies/States that defeated Great Britain in 1781, six years after the war began, and officially ended in 1783.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I should have clarified.
    England "pursued" the Revolutionary War - they gave up.
    Same with Germany and Japan in WWII - they launched the war, it dragged out - they lost.
    The Soviets in Afghanistan.
    The U.S. in Vietnam.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once the US started to ladle out the cash, etc., it didn't take five years.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It took four, which was long enough. Lend-Lease began in the spring of 1941.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Following the Battle of the Bulge, when Adolf doubled down and lost, the subsequent invasion of France and what came after was just a matter of resources and time. Only Hitler's maniacial ego kept it going as long as it did.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

France had been successfully invaded months before the Battle of the Bulge. The invasion subsequent to it was that of Germany itself.

But the point you're trying to make proves my point - the Allies had to win, because the Germans wouldn't simply give up.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They didn't want to repeat the fiasco ending of WWI. Although they did, in a way.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, just a different fiasco.

You have to wonder how things might have been different if Roosevelt had lived and if Churchill hadn't been ousted as British PM in July 1945.

Draft saved Draft deleted