1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So did the Most Trusted Man in America manipulate the news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, May 14, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I grew up watching Walter Cronkite and was a big fan. Still am. But this is interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2067

Legendary CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite allegedly collaborated with anti-Vietnam War activists in the 1960s, going so far as to offer advice on how to raise the public profile of protests and even pledging CBS News resources to help pull off events, according to FBI documents obtained by Yahoo! News.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No shit.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He never did what he didn't get caught at.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

If true, which I assume, they're no better than FOX. This also lends some credibility to Bernard Goldberg's depiction of a politically charged culture at CBS.

5. CR19

CR19 Member

Even one of the most trusted journalists in America deliberately influenced the news. That says a lot about the place (or lack thereof) for ethics in journalism.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How do I know Hoover's FBI didn't manipulate this report?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

With Smasher on this one. Cronkite can't offer a defence.

8. CR19

CR19 Member

Good point. When I think about it, Cronkite thought more of ethics during his prime than any commentator these days.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they have used it against him then?

You really think there plan was to produce some false evidence against him and hold onto it for 40 years?

Why, that's diabolical.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Used what against him? When?

The FBI files are littered with bullshit fourth-hand fictions like these.

J Edgar Hoover: the closeted, cross-dressing embodiment of American paranoia.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Anyone who has heard Cronkite talk over the years knows the man is an unabashed liberal when it comes to certain topics. That said, I still enjoyed him as CBS News anchor.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And regardless of any liberal-conservative stance, it's likely the war was a hopeless quagmire in his eyes, and he just reported it as such. I'm sure there were at least a few staunch conservatives who saw it as such.

Ivory tower ethics aside, human beings report these things, and it's impossible to set aside every bias 100 percent of the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted