1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Dale Jr.'s leaving DEI?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 9, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, they haven't gone the Pettys' route re: beer.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've done some research for contingency programs for my blog. To sponsor a program, you have to be an official partner of NASCAR (or whatever term they use); whether you want to sponsor a program beyond that is up to you.

JGR is, to some degree, beholden by NASCAR. In that instance, they don't get to choose whose logo is on their car. But they do get to choose who the primary/secondary sponsors are.

So before you go railing against that, understand that some things are beyond JGR's control.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

That IS one of the things JGR can control ... as evidence, look no further than Petty Enterprises -- they do not run the Bud Pole Award decals on their cars ...

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Well, the Petty cars aren't exactly a threat to win a pole, either. They don't miss money they don't have.

Beyond that, you think Budweiser's going to sign up for a series-wide program and not have Tony Stewart on board? That's a hell of a lot easier to live with than not having Bobby Labonte on board.

I don't know for certain, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you think. My guess is that JGR is 'strongly encouraged' to participate in the pole award program.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A number of years ago, one of their drivers (John Andretti or Bobby Hamilton) won a pole, and he couldn't participate in the next Bud Shootout because the Pettys didn't run the decals.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was Andretti, and Rick Hendrick handed over the keys of the 25 (then with Bud sponsorship) so Andretti could run the Shootout.

Draft saved Draft deleted