1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Malibu burning

That sucks man. Hope everything is OK for you and your family.

2. Re: Malibu burning

Wow, so many things make so much more sense now after reading this thread.

We were in Vegas/Death Valley on Saturday. In the late afternoon, it started getting REALLY windy in Death Valley. Throughout the night it was really windy in Vegas.

Then tonight (Sunday) at about 10 pm we were driving back on I-15 just before we reached the Inland Empire there was an electronic sign about high profile vehicles should use I-215 insead of I-15 because of the winds. We'd gotten stuck in late night construction traffic a few times before on 215 so we went with 15, and it was REALLY windy. So much so that it was hard to drive. And then I encountered dust blowing across the road and it made it hard to see. But we had no idea about the fires until we go back.

It was wierd because when I was driving I noticed that it was kind of hazy, but I was thinking that it was fog in the valleys or something since it was late. When we got back, we noticed a smokey smell. But we still didn't know what it was, so we thought it was somebody had had a good BBQ. We noticed that the moon was a little wierd looking though, giving off a bright yellow glow. And we're pretty far south in San Diego county, near the coast and the smoke is enough to bother my eyes, nose and throat.

Strangely though I didn't see any of the fires driving back and, reading this, it seems like we were pretty nearby.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The 15 just south of the 215-15 interchange down to Corona is a big-time wind tunnel because it's at the base of Cajon Pass and the winds just come howling through there. You always see lots of trucks tipped over in the north Fontana region there because of how powerful the winds are. And it sounds like these are extra rough Santa Anas, which aren't a lot of fun to begin with. I can remember some gusts to 100 mph (I remember school getting canceled a few times, too, because of the wind with downed power lines and such) and it's not fun.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It sucks everywhere in SoCal. It's awful just walking out the door and to smell the hazy smoke. I'm wishing the best for everyone who is being affected by this horrible stuff, from L.A. to Orange to San Diego counties

5. MileHigh

There are 12 fires burning in SoCal. Qualcolmm Stadium has been set up as an evacuation center.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

There was one tipped over right before the Devore turnoff on the 215 yesterday afternoon. This was just south of the fire I mentioned earlier that I drove through.

By the time I drove back through there at 6:30ish, the fire was out, but the truck was still on its side and a total mess.

The winds are still raging, but my drive into work was ridiculously easy. I was expecting a slog; instead it was my easiest day in quite some time on the 14.

That said, Canyon Country is under a massive cloud of smoke and that fire has become Priority No. 1 because of its size and what it's threatening: a lot of homes and businesses, as well as Canyon High.

And SoCalDude, let me echo Angola's sentiments. Hope everything's OK with you and your family.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Thanks guys. We're OK. School is closed, so my kid is overcoming her fear of the fire and smoke over the joy of not having to go to school today.
    Saddest thing is it's being reported they found 3 incendiary devices at the origin of this fire, the Santiago Canyon/Portola Springs. Arson. How could that still happen in this day and age? Some people are just incredibly stupid.
    Fire is moving away from us, hitting Foothill Ranch now and heading toward a wilderness area.
    We all hope for the best.

8. MileHigh

Lots and lots of firebugs out there. They get that first whiff of the Santa Ana coming and they're out there.
    Good luck, SoCal.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Found this part of the AP story to be interesting:

10. MileHigh

250,000 evacuated in San Diego County. Yes ... 250,000.

New fire in Green Valley/North Lake Arrowhead threatening 2,000 homes. Some already have burned. Running Springs, Arrowbear, Deer Lodge and Green Valley under mandatory evacuations.

Lake Arrowhead took a massive hit in 2003.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fires also now burning in <a href="http://www.sbsun.com/ci_7248078?source=rss_viewed">south Ontario</a>, <a href="http://www.sbsun.com/ci_7249026?source=rss_viewed">Lake Arrowhead and Green Valley Lake</a>, <a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/10/22/news/top_stories/10_15_2210_22_07.txt">Ramona, San Marcos and Fallbrook</a>, Santiago Canyon ...

I-15 is closed between Temecula and Escondido, along with a dozen other road closures in north S.D. County. (I-15 is also closed in the Cajon Pass, from Hwy. 138 to the 215.)

High winds have knocked down a few trees near our place, but no fire damage around here right now. The Wildcat definitely won't be able to get to work if the roads stay closed. I don't know bad my drive is going to be today, either, but at least it's kinda between all the fires and not through them.

Fuck.

Let's be careful out there. Especially SoCalDude, Birdie, Firstime. Dunno if Claws and poindexter are in any danger, too, but I hope not.

12. MileHigh

Just found out my sister-in-laws parents are being evacuated out of Running Springs, but the fire is about 20 miles from them. Sister-in-law also has a cousin coming to their place from San Diego. My brother is stuck in the High Desert after I-15 got shut down.

Yes, be careful out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted