1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So-Cal Fire Thread -- BYOP*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can you see the water planes when they dump? They are a majestic site.

Saw a couple this summer in Oregon dumping retardant and it is amazing to watch.

Stay safe, Southern Californians.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This latest round of fires is about 10-15 miles from me, but if I step outside my apartment I can smell the smoke quite strongly.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My old man lives in Moorpark, which best I can tell from the maps is about 10-15 miles from the one in the northern part of the valley.

Last year, the fires came up to damn near his back yard.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Register's got a great fire map showing where the shit's going down today in Corona/O.C.:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire-map-orange-2191967-county-perimeter

Stay safe, y'all.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What kind of day has it been out there? I have a sister in Anaheim Hills, and so far, so good for her and her family.

But they've loaded up a car, just in case.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Things calmed down quite a bit. The aircraft is doing a marvelous job dropping water and fire retardant.
    Yorba Linda and Brea were hit pretty hard. Anaheim Hills was bad, but not as bad.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I feel for anyone who has been affected by the fires this go-around. Luckily, where I am has been OK, but I have friends who have been affected by the OC part of the fires.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The Sylmar fire has now burned over the Angeles National Forest into Placerita Canyon on the eastern outskirts of Santa Clarita -- a fact I experienced first-hand driving to work through a cloud of smoke this morning.

Perhaps someone in SoCal TV or with a background in SoCal TV (PCLoad?) can explain why ABC insisted on showing Boston College-Florida State Saturday afternoon -- a game of little significance here on the West Coast -- while all the other stations were showing gavel-to-gavel fire coverage.

This, of course, screwed my Kiwi Challenge client, since because of the fire coverage, the event wasn't televised in the No. 2 market in the country. It's completely understandable, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted