1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So apparently someone I've never met thinks I need Jesus....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 21, 2010.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Glad to hear you're wearing pants at the gym.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's my point. Faith, by definition, is something you can't proof. It's a belief.

Therefore, I can have faith in one thing and you can have faith in another. As long as your faith doesn't interfere with my faith, I see no reason why we can't all live together in perfect harmony.

But, alas, I guess I'm just a dreamer ...

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The same pastor gives me (and everyone else) his business card whenever he comes to the gym.

He has also appeared and asked to say prayers at odd moments, i.e. when I've just finished a set on the bench.

I usually oblige him. No harm there.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Only similar experience I had was years ago when I was covering a college basketball game at a Wesleyan university in Oklahoma. At the concession stand at halftime, the guy behind me in line just taps me on the shoulder and says, "Have you found Jesus?"

In full-on smartass mode, I replied, "I didn't know he was lost."

The guy laughs, and like several others on this thread, starts chatting me up about religion, their great services, I should come Friday night to some contemporary service with Christian rock music, yadda yadda.

I politely tell the guy no thanks, I'm Catholic, and this launches him into a tirade about how Catholicism isn't really Christianity, we worship a Roman emperor, blah blah blah. Luckily, it's about time for the second half, so I tell him thanks for the discussion and leave.

Midway through the third quarter, the guy moves up behind me in the bleachers and starts talking with another fan. During a timeout, I hear him commenting that he wishes the college could put together a team without having to recruit so many (insert N-word here).

Ugh.

Moral of the story, I guess, is that as someone else said, most of these folks mean no harm. Just be polite, listen, and send them on their way. Or, take them up on their invitation if you are so inclined.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People don't bother me at basketball games.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't tell me you cover those shirtless...

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is one of the funniest things I've read on here in a long time. Of course, the imagery I could do without, but that is fucking hilarious.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Look at him and say "I'm a Jehovah's Witness. Did you know Christmas is a pagan holiday?"
    Ms. Slappy saw it on a sign a couple months ago and hasn't stopped sputtering since...

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Agreed.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Christian rock music is absolutely awful. I was raised on it, and I had no idea how awful it was until I was old enough to buy my own music. I was in for a world of shock.

Christians need to stick to things they are good at. Rock music is not on that list. (Neither are video games or comic books, but they definitely tried).

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As usual when someone tries to paint stuff with a broad brush this isn't entirely true. There is some very good Christian rock music out there and has been for the past two decades. Not all of it is good, a lot of it is bad but some of it, like some of the stuff from Petra and the Daniel Band, was not too bad.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is of course subjective. But I had and listened to almost all of it, including Petra, and I can't think of anything good off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted