1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So apparently someone I've never met thinks I need Jesus....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 21, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, weird thing happened today. I was at the gym, finishing up my workout (Yes, IJAG, I know, that I workout is weird enough).

I got off the tredmill and had one set one pushups left and I'd be done. I go to this corner where people typicially stretch/warm up, whatever.

This guy I've never met approaches me and asks about the T-Shirt I'm wearing, a T-Shirt from this rock concert I went to a couple years ago featuring Slipknot, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, e.t.c.

Anyhoo, I talk to the fellow because I'm a pretty laid back guy and I figure he wants to talk music. He goes on this long tangent about how he used to like the same music I do but that the lyrics are too dark and depressing for him (This is the first sign that I'm talking to a bit of a weirdo but ok, I figure I'll see where this is going).

He then asks me how the music makes me feel and recommends some bands that I'll "definitely like". He goes through a list and I jot some names down because, well, I like checking out new music.

He then gives me the second sign that he's a bit of a strange one and says that "Christian music is really the only type of music I like". Ok, starting to get weirded out.

He then goes on this long tangent about how religion has made him a better person and starts asking me some pretty personal questions ("What religion are you?" "Oh, yeah? I used to be Catholic but they're wrong on almost everything", "I find they have too many rituals and it's too much of a scam.")

At this point, I'm only listening to him because I love seeing religious nutjobs in action. Then he tells me about this service he goes to and how "you'd really like it. It's not judgemental. You just come in, worship, it's a lot of fun." He then tells me I look like I need "Jesus in my life."

From here, he starts telling me about this church group he goes to and how it would be "perfect for me". Yada, Yada, Yada. I came close to debating religion with him (Because it's kind of a lot of fun for me to fuck with people and tell them I don't think there is a God even though, in my heart, I do).

I decided to let this guy off easy, he seems like a crazy person but he doesn't seem like he means any harm. He then continues to insist I come this Sunday night, to which I tell him I'm not really looking for religion right now.

Long story short, I guess the lesson here is don't strike up conversations with strangers and be surprised when they take completely strange turns.

Oh, and I guess I need Jesus. Interesting. I thought because I believe in abortion rights, gay marriage, divorce, premarital sex and masturbation that I wasn't allowed to even speak his name...

So, anyone here have a similar experience? What would you have done? I'm curious...

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You should've asked him if he has a personal relationship with Allah.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was going to guess Brit Hume.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Give the guy credit. Christians talk a lot about how they have a responsibility to outwardly spread the word, but it's not easy to reach out to strangers and few actually do. The guy made his pitch, doesn't sound like he got aggressive or weird about it. He's not a "nutjob" because he believes what he believes and thinks others might benefit from what he feels helped him. He invited you to come to his church group, much as someone might invite you to their book club or Amway meeting.

And no, I'm not a Christian. But I don't think it's inherently evil and respect people who try to share whatever faith they have.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People don't bother me at the gym.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You should also have asked him if he can now hit curveballs.

We had some Jehovah's Witnesses constantly come to the door. The first time, my wife, who is usually a friendly person, chatted with them. They kept coming back for another two weeks. Finally, my wife would just start telling them all about every problem she had in life, and everytime they would try to turn the talk to religion, she'd change the subject back.

Couple of weeks later, they got tired of her problems, and stopped coming.

7. schiezainc

I just think it's a tad off putting to ask someone you just met what religion they are, and when they tell you, to say "I used to be XXXX but they're wrong on almost everything."

What if I was super Catholic? That would have offended me and we probably would have started arguing over it.

It's one thing to spread your group's message. That's fine. But at least wait until you actually know the people you're trying to convert.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So no second date?

9. schiezainc

Most times people don't bother me either. This was only the second guy to really bother/offend me. The first guy is just a chatterbox and spends more time talking to people than working out and, that would be fine, except in the locker room they have the TVs set to the cable news shows and this guy always has to go on these long anti-George Bush rants.

I voted for Obama and thought Bush did a crap job but there's a time and place to debate this (Like the politics board on here...er, wait) and the gym isn't it...not to mention Bush has been out of office for a year now so there's no real reason to still bash him.

10. schiezainc

I'm half tempted to go to the church's meeting and ask everyone why their God allowed the Haiti earthquake, 9/11, the tsunami, Katrina and Jersey Shore to happen.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, well there's a reason for that. :D

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The tattoo on my back that says, "Leave me the fuck alone" is usually covered up, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted