1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So about those "fair trials" at Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 7, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything like that buddy, and you can kiss my ass for putting words in my mouth.

I think I have a little different perspective than others, which may alter my opinions a shade. If you don't agree, that's fine by me. You have your opinion, and I have mine.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But like I said, t_b_f, wouldn't those military officers have at least a similar perspective?

3. three_bags_full

I would expect Army officers in that situation to deliver a professional decision that did not reflect their personal feelings.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And that decision was a 66-month sentence, given, I assume, under the impression that he would be released in a short while on the basis of time served.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You could just apply that to civil justice as well

Instead of having those unwieldy things called trials, just shoot anyone you supsect of being a criminal.

Thieves, drug dealers, rapists, murderers. Hell, jay walkers and guys who wear their jeans around their ankles.

Just shoot 'em first and ask questions later. Fuck habeas corpus and due process.

Makes sense.

Then you'd officially be a police state.

Congratulations!

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can certainly see where you're coming from TBF. I think the question is how can this be handled in a way that has a chance at satisfying both the civil liberties advocates and those who want enemy combatants treated like WWII POW's.

I'm not sure there's a way to do that.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Except there's no proof that they're all enemy combatants. That's the problem.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All things considered, the fact that this trial found him not guilty of the more serious counts gives me a certain optimism.

If everyone now gets their day in court and there's no proof, it does appear the judges are going to be professional, as TBF pointed out earlier.

The question is how quickly everyone else gets their day in court.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong because opinion's can't be wrong.

But, in my opinion, what you're saying is that you're comfortable with him being behind bars whether or not he deserves to be because you think he poses a threat to you, and again, in my opinion, that is the exact opposite of what the idea of freedom is suppose to represent.

10. three_bags_full

So, if you thought there'd be a chance for him and his buddies to plant a bomb under your car tomorrow, you'd want him out of jail today?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I think 'yeah' might not be the word you're looking for.

12. SigR

SigR Member

While the tone may be harsh, I agree completely. I'd rather see 100 terrorists out there trying to blow people up than see one innocent man put behind bars. (Not being sarcastic, I actually believe this)

Draft saved Draft deleted