1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So a coach told me to go F*** myself three times today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So I guess I should have let you through?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Chances are he'll apoligize the next time I see him. He usually does when he flips out on people.

But still. It's unfair. Every bone in my body wanted to tell him to eat my asshole with a bowl of corn flakes but I couldn't. I had to be above that. And that sucks.

I don't want to make too big a deal of this, I still have to cover the team but I don't think I should have to take it either.

I'm a little confused. What do you mean stay away from "setting the example"?

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Are you coming on to me?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. He digs the cup.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry, i should have said "setting an example."

you said: "I'm going to call the AD Monday and tell him that I don't appreciate being berated for doing my job and frankly, this coach is suppose to be representing his school and I don't think he's setting a very good example."

i wouldn't go that route.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No, just asking if there was any breach in driving etiquette on my part.

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Well, fine then.

8. quote him

Asked about his team's improved play on offense, coach Smith told a reporter, "You know what? Bleep you. Go bleep yourself."

or whatever your paper's style for bleep is.

9. schiezainc

Oh, ok. I see where you're coming from.

My plan is to basically tell the AD (who I've had a good relationship with) that if this is going to continue, the team is simply not going to get covered.

If I felt it would accomplish anything, I'd write a column about the whole fiasco. But in truth, I know it won't. This coach is a douche, has always been a douche and frankly, isn't worth my time.

That's not too bad an idea actually. But like I said above, I'm just trying to do my job. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire. If I was, I would have said "Coach, you've got a great command of the English language there. Too bad your playcalling isn't as good as your ability to talk down to others, you self-absored pole-smoker."

:)

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i may ... don't let the cocksucker get away with this. talk to the AD in person, not on the phone. tell him in no uncertain terms that those types of actions aren't acceptable.

if he blows you off, then write the column the day after you go to the conference's association. don't let the cocksucker get away with it, but, and this is a huge but, give the school the opportunity to correct the problem first.

don't let it slide. contact the AD on monday.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

TP nailed it. Word for word.

See if the AD will communicate in a positive manner. If so, then no need to go further. If not, then explore other options.

12. schiezainc

Thanks for the advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted